Home > Trip Reports > June 19, 2008, Chinook Pass, Naches, 6597, Seymour Pk

June 19, 2008, Chinook Pass, Naches, 6597, Seymour Pk

6/19/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by artfreeman on 6/20/08 1:26am
Conditions were very good at Chinook Pass Thursday for our peak bagging scramble trip.  Brett, Craig, Nancy, Lori and JB walked.  I skied. 

Although it did not freeze at night, the snow was well consolidated, and a pleasure to ski, except a little too soft very late in the day.  No pollen, minor cupping and some runnels developing.

Started about 9:30 and skied clockwise from the pass to summit block of Naches.  Climbed straight up, what I guess was the East face. Others wrapped around further and ramped up the SW side, but this is not a trivial scramble, especially in ski boots. Involves short class 4 rock moves.

I took a lovely  run off the SE ridge of Naches into the basin E of the peak, and then headed over to Peak 6597 just N of Dewey Lakes.  Brett tells me this peak is also called Tahltlum.  Skied a run on the NW face of that peak to the trees, again very good.  Some of my ski friends never want to go out with a €œmixed€ group of hikers and skiers, but for me it usually works fine provided there is good communication.  Radios are key.  By now the others were off toward Seymour via the saddle just W of Dewey Lakes. 

Speaking of communication, I got confused as to whether the others were ahead of me or behind, so I decided to take a short cut off the S side of 6567 to Dewey Lakes.  Proved to be a surprisingly good run, but involved about 5 minutes of safe, but unpleasant dirt and scree to get to the snow.  There are relatively open slots in the lower trees.  From W Dewey Lake, skinned up the snow basin E of Seymour and gained the ridge at the low point E of the summit (marked 6337).  This is a relatively easy scramble--much easier than it looks at first--right up the ridge.  Everyone had fun and Brett gets a gold star for navigation. Back to car at about 6:30

Brett even made a video which will give you an idea of the terrain off Seymour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28x2z0JUVBU
That is one of my favorite trips. Was going to do that last Sat, but opted for the Tamanos traverse.
I do it in different order, Seymour, 6597 and finish with Naches.
But it is fun just the same!
Looked like some acrobatic climbing in the ski boots on Naches!
Thanks for the picture(s) looking back a Naches, looks like my line to get to Seymour is still in tact.
That route last year had some skiing combined with spicy waterfall down climbs, an on and off again relationship with my skis.  :D
Glad you did this tour it is a classic in my book!

Nice tour.

I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow (Monday).

Any advice of ski routes off of the north face of Seymour peak?

Did you do a car shuttle/hitchhike for this?

- Matt

Reply to this TR

june-19-2008-chinook-pass-naches-6597-seymour-pk
artfreeman
2008-06-20 08:26:56