Home > Trip Reports > June 19, Alpental Basin

June 19, Alpental Basin

6/15/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by lordhedgie on 6/19/08 11:57am
I took my wife skiing in the "real backcountry" for her first time.  We skinned up to Source Lake, and did a little yo-yoing of some of the open slopes on the west side of the basin.  Eventually she got tired and said it was time to get back.  On the way back she decided she could do a little more, so we skinned up the Sessel lift and went down it.

Alpental ski resort won't be ski to the car much longer; it was pretty rough as it was.  Up to Source Lake, however, was at least 18 inches of snow, more in places.  It should be good for awhile.

Here's a picture of my wife skiing in a dress (she's allergic to sunlight, and there was a lot of it).  Also, an extremely interesting cloud formation....  The white line is a contrail, the "rainbow" was natural (not a lens effect), and the skeleton, well...  It was just there.
Just the TR I needed!

Thanks! Looks like you guys had fun!

The rainbow/corona's consistent with the lenticular on Tahoma this afternoon - I hope it's not a harbinger of worse-than-forecasted weather. While the idea's never occurred to me, I'll bet that, in the right Spring conditions, skiing in a dress is pretty comfy.

Hey Lordhedgie,

We were the folks just gearing up when you made it back to the parking lot. Enjoyed talking with you. It was fun seeing your wife ski sessel in a dress. Have to admit I have never seen that done before  :) .

Nash was a great ski last evening.

Who's going to pioneer the Utilikilt @ 10K feet? http://www.utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=46

Nice pix of your wife. Nice to ski Cowboy Mtn. with you last weekend, and good job getting more skin time. Up for a Sunday ski next weekend?

Reply to this TR

june-19-alpental-basin
lordhedgie
2008-06-19 18:57:10