Home > Trip Reports > 2008, June 19, MRNP Paradise Glacier wet slides

2008, June 19, MRNP Paradise Glacier wet slides

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Andrew Carey on 6/19/08 5:04am
Doing one of my morning constitutionals from 4 Xing to McClure Rock and once above Paradise River I could see the fracture line of a wet slide from halfway up McClure Rock along the break of the rollover to above and just beyoned the 1st Rock outcrop/cliff face above Stevens Creek.  Looked like all the new consolidate snow slid leaving the old, dirty snow surface.  Many other lower angle wet slides above Stevens creek, below the glacier.

I got to 4th Xing about 10 a.m. and it was already in the 50s.  Snow was soft and grabby down low, new snow merging with old snow/dirt all the way up, some breakable crust, mostly soft & sticky.  Decided not to go all the way to McClure as it was warming fast, 57 F at Paradise Valley Rd at 11:45.
Did it again this a.m., left 4 xing 8:30 a.m. Snow nice & solid all the way up.  this time I could see the fracture line extended all around the corner practically to Anvil Rock.  Skied down is nice soft-ice topped corn; ice kept the dirt from dragging on the skis.  Red algae just coming out. Mazama west face was still icy when we skied down it about 10:30.

Reply to this TR

2008-june-19-mrnp-paradise-glacier-wet-slides
Andrew Carey
2008-06-19 12:04:50