Home > Trip Reports > June 19, 2008, Alpental, Late Dawn Exercise

June 19, 2008, Alpental, Late Dawn Exercise

6/19/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 6/19/08 4:54am
It was either go to the gym or skin up Alpental.  Right choice !  As others have mentioned, there is still adequate coverage from the base of Sessel.  The recent skiers/riders have smooth the surface ridges and the moguls have shrunk.  It was a bit overcast this morning which made skinning pleasant.  The sun arrived around 8:30am.  I skinned up Lower International and used ski crampons.  It was not icy but I dislike my lower ski slipping sideways as I'm skinning steep slopes.  So I just put on the crampons at the start and shuffle along.  It's not like someone is going to steal my corn line.  ;)  There is excellent coverage on Lower International and I had less than an inch ski penetration.  I continued up Upper International until my turn around time.  The coverage on Upper International is also excellent.  The ski down was very nice.  The surface has very small sun cups and the ridges from the moguls are small and provide a nice turning surface.  I skied near some old tracks that had skimmed the surface and provided an easy place to initiate turns.  There's plenty of snow on the mountain.  I also drove by Summit West, Central and East and there are only patches of snow on the open slopes.
Has anyone gone down Edelweiss lately?  Is the coverage just as good in there?

author=JPH link=topic=10389.msg41974#msg41974 date=1213905964]
Has anyone gone down Edelweiss lately?  Is the coverage just as good in there?

Yeah, coverage is good on Edelweiss, although there is some debris on the snow. It looked cleaner to me than lower internationale.

Went up after work and got to the top at about 8, Rainier was looking good.  I wanted to hang out and catch it closer to sunset so I took a lap down Edelweiss to pass the time, the snow was great.

Got back up to the top and snapped a few shots of Rainier in her evening wear before heading down nash and back to the car.  The snow on the run down was really good.

Reply to this TR

june-19-2008-alpental-late-dawn-exercise
Zap
2008-06-19 11:54:42