Home > Trip Reports > Mountain Loop Trifecta, June 15-17

Mountain Loop Trifecta, June 15-17

6/15/08
Posted by jd on 6/18/08 2:58am
With gas prices what they are I count myself even luckier than usual to live as close to the Mountain Loop Highway as I do (which also lets me come home for a shower and dinner every night!).

Mt. Pilchuck from Lake Stevens

With an appointment Sunday evening I only had time for a morning jaunt up Mt. Pilchuck. The predicted clearing didn't happen until later in the day so I climbed up through cool fog but it broke up enough that visibility for skiing was fine. Snow was just about perfect, with a bit of slush, but no sluffs. About 2 miles of road remains to be walked, but it is melting fast.

Monday morning Eric and Jeff met at my house at 7:30 and we drove up the Mountain Loop with a couple of ideas, but not really knowing where we'd end up. There wasn't enough snow at Barlow Pass to justify an exploration up to Silvertip, so we drove back to the Sunrise Mine road, which was blocked by snow at the highway. We met Colin there who was heading in to solo Vesper.

Eric & Jeff on the Sunrise Mine rd., Morning Star behind them, Wirtz basin on the right.

The forest service says the road is only 2.2 miles long, but it sure feels more like 3. The first hill down is mostly snow free, but hardly worth wearing tennies. The first river crossing is easy, but keeping on the trail past that is tough. We ended up traversing on good snow and coming out at the next crossing very low. A bit of up and down bushwacking got us to a thin snowbridge that I wouldn't have crossed later in the day.

The slick ski videos don't show this part

A tongue of snow allowed us to climb directly up (and ski down at the end of the day) the switch-backs on the alder/devil's club slope above the valley. As the north face of Morning Star came into view as we skinned up Wirtz Basin Jeff and I were psyched to see smooth continuous snow to a high shoulder.

Ski route, North Face Morning Star

Jeff and I skinned up to the first cliffs below the gully and left our skins, while Eric decided to ski the bowl to the west of the gully. We both felt foolish having left our helmets at home when we saw rocks littering the slope below a side gully that emptied into our line. We stayed clear of the debris until a quick crossing got us out of one danger zone and into the next. Neither of us had anticipated the constant steepness of the next 1,500 ft. - 45 degrees rearing to 50+ in places, without a break. Jeff had an axe (otherwise we never would have keep going) so he went first kicking perfect steps while I followed with a near useless whip-it. If I went back I'd bring two tools so I could drive alternate shafts in giving myself a self-belay. Looking down that slope near the top gave me a thrill of vertigo realizing that I'd never be able to arrest a slip. I just looked back at the steps in front of me and kicked hard on each, concentrating on smooth movement and balance. Luckily the snow was perfect for step kicking - soft enough to penetrate well, but firm enough to make a solid platform.

We both felt an incredible release of tension pulling over the top onto the shoulder. We wanted to scramble to the top, but the steep rock above was too tricky for plastic ski boots, and our nerves were frayed as it was. I haven't done a descent like this for many years, and didn't relish the thought of down climbing the whole thing if I psyched out on skiing. We rested, ate a snack and drank some water while watching Colin ski Vesper.

Jeff at the top of the ski run on Morning Star looking NW, Vesper on the left, Vega Tower on right.

Colin skis Vesper

Jeff was pumped to ski so he tested the top slope while I stood on a cornice to the side to photograph him. The snow was just about perfect - soft enough to carve, with no sluffing. It was sobering to see how slow and carefully he skied it though.

I was nervous dropping into the first turn, but got my ski legs back as I cut into the buttery snow. It was just as steep as it had felt on the climb, but we both felt better on our skis with a set of edges under foot.

We were relieved to get off the top slope where the fall line dropped into cliffs and back into the gully.

A quick cut across the rock fall zone and we were home free on the lower open slopes where we could finally let the skis run in sweeping high speed GS turns whooping with joy. We met up with Eric and skied down into the basin on great snow.

Jim & Eric ski the lower slopes, with the North Face gully above

Colin caught up to us in the lower basin and accompanied us back to the car.

We wandered up and down the hillside between the stream crossings a bit on the way out. Just before we hit the road I started thinking about if we'd want to use our skins at all, but realized that wouldn't be possible since we'd left them up on the mountain! We'd been so psyched to cut it up on the easy slope below the route we'd both completely forgotten the skins. Jeff stated the obvious that it would be my job to retrieve them since I wasn't working the next day.

When I got home I was glad to find a message from John saying he had Tuesday off and wanted to get out. 9:00 found us tromping back down the Sunrise Mine road in the fog. We hoped that the predicted clearing would part the clouds just as we summited Vesper but it wasn't to be. I went up and retrieved the skins while John kicked good steps up to Headlee Pass and waited for me. He also made a nice skin track all the way to the top as I slowly followed in a whiteout of windy mist. The previous days were starting to catch up to me and a whole body weariness slowed me down. After a brief rest out of the wind in the summit rocks we skied down cutting many funny slow-mo sluffs in 5 inches of slurpy snow. I even skied on top of one and rode it down 50 ft. past John. I was glad we hadn't found such conditions on Morning Star where it would have been too dangerous.

John skis down from Headlee Pass

We finally had the route dialed in so the trip back to the car was a breeze other than my feet which were getting sore after 3 days of sweating in plastic boots.

Red = approach, Blue = Morning Star rt., Green = Vesper rt.

I'm quite happy to spend a rainy day at home today, letting my feet recover, and looking at the pictures. Conditions in the North Cascades seem to be prime right now, especially on north faces, but be aware that other aspects can have very different snow. We may even get some more this week!
Straight up jd!  That is a sweet tour!  Nice pics and hella nice work!

Awesome trip report.
You get an A+
Really nice tour too...

That's a helluva report and nice work on the trifecta!  As usual your pics are very impressive.  Just wondering... what program are you using for the aerial images? 

Great photos and report.  Every time I've gone past that line on the way to Vesper I've wondered about it.  Nice job!

author=ski_photomatt link=topic=10380.msg41902#msg41902 date=1213813622]
Great photos and report.  Every time I've gone past that line on the way to Vesper I've wondered about it.  Nice job!

ditto!  I saw that line on Morning Star a couple years ago while heading in to Vesper and thought it would make for a great ski...glad someone got it! 

Merk,

I got the ariel photos from Google Earth, then put them through Photoshop. I looked for a shot of Morning Star on John Scurlock's pages but couldn't find one.

Stellar photos as always, jd. 

Greatl TR and photos.

JD; et al-
Great Stuff. I may try a humble mini version. I've never been to the area, so indulge me, if you would:

I can't find Sunrise Mine Rd. on my map, might it also be named FR 4065, which heads south from the hwy near Headlee pass?

Is there camping nearby (or can I just sleep in my car) for an early Saturday morning start (I'm coming from the city)?

Is the 2.2 (3) miles on the road all walking, or is skiing possible? At the end of that road is the beginning of Wirtz basin correct?

Assuming I am skiing once on Wirtz, how long is it to the top of the basin? Is the skiing good enough in the Wirtz to justify the trip? I will be solo and want to avoid anything too steep (as your bad azz climb up Morning Star looks).

Might you recommend another trip in the area (I am eager to explore the mountain loop hwy) that would be appropriate for a solo tour starting early in the morning (5am) and ending by early afternoon (damn commitments), that maximizes on-snow time. Not that it matters, but I will be on teles and with my corndog who also loves to rip...

Thanks in advance for any info-- 

Nice TR and photos, jd!  Thanks for sharing.

jjabodee, you got the road right, but the trail head is a long ways from Wirtz Basin. We skinned up the road for ~1.5 miles before hitting the trail where we took em off. It is quite a hike right now to just ski the basin, but the snow is quite good up there and you could do a couple of runs on the top bit below Morning Star that is quite nice. The Basin is also a beautiful place worthy of a visit just for that.

author=jd link=topic=10380.msg41896#msg41896 date=1213811885]Jeff had an axe (otherwise we never would have keep going) so he went first kicking perfect steps while I followed with a near useless whip-it.

jd, I hope you bought the beer to pay back Jeff for kicking all those steps.

Nice work.  I climbed MS years ago via Beckey std route, and I remember it being steep and scary on all flanks.  That's a heck of a line you guys skied.

Thanks Jim, for heading back in to retrieve our skins! I am indebted  many summit beers!!!:)

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. We really lucked out on Morning Star - it was one of those days I'll never forget, which is one of the reasons I do this. I have to admit that the extreme nature of the route (at least for me) added spice that made me focus harder than I have for a while, and produced a euphoria afterward that I don't get on a run up old standards (see thread on the movie Steep for discussion).

Please note that Jeff took a number of the photos, and yes, I did buy the beer & pizza that night to pay him back for those steps!

Kicking steps for pizza and beer sounds like a good living.

Exceptional TR JD.  Thanks for bringing Morning Star to my attention.  My ski "to do" list is starting to rival my wife's list for me "to do."  

You  guys need to get some jobs !

Reply to this TR

mountain-loop-trifecta-june-15-17
jd
2008-06-18 09:58:05