Home > Trip Reports > June 15, Summerland to Frying Pan loop

June 15, Summerland to Frying Pan loop

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Paul_Russell on 6/17/08 12:03pm
This was a really nice loop trip through a beautiful area that I had skied from each end on other occassions, so I had always wanted to connect the two.  What an incredible day for it.

Mary and I left the Frying Pan Cr TH about 9am for Summer Land and traversed through Panhandle Gap to the upper reaches of the Ohanapecosh Park staying above the 6500' contour.  We skinned through the Park with a few ups and downs and a little scrambling on talus to reach the Ohanapecosh Glacier.  Great views of Adams and Goat Rocks with no one insight through this area.  We reached Whitman Crest about 4pm where we reconnected with Kenji and crew who we had seen at the TH (nice to see you guys!).  The ski down the Frying Pan Gl back to Meany Crest was on nice firm spring snow making for fast turns.  The top section from Whitman Crest had some frozen waves of blown snow that provided for entertaining obstacles and launches.  Also, to the skiers left, a shcrund is opening and to be avoided (although someone had skied right over it).  A couple cracks were also opening lower on the Frying Pan to watch for.  We traversed right to the steep roll over Meany Crest where we were cautious on the descent due to evident sluffing with cliffs below.  From there it was an easy downhill on some good corn back to the basin, and so nice to ski all the back to the car through the trees. 

We saw a group skiing from below Panhandle Gap around noon (maybe Randy) and then another group at the Gap where we had lunch (I think Marcus).  Great to see so many folks out enjoying the beautiful day in that area.

I will also note that while on the upper part of the Ohanapecosh Gl, I heard some settlement of the snowpack under foot that was a little concerning.  Fortunately we were on low angle slopes so I wasn't too worried.

Stats were about 12 miles and +6000' gain.

A few pics possibly later... unfortunately left my camera behind.

Reply to this TR

june-15-summerland-to-frying-pan-loop
Paul_Russell
2008-06-17 19:03:46