Home > Trip Reports > Shriner Peak, June 15, 2008

Shriner Peak, June 15, 2008

6/15/08
Posted by Boot on 6/16/08 1:13pm
Day 2 was up the same Deer Creek, but continuing south along the east side of Shriner, to the saddle at 5200', then up to the lookout for even better views than the day before, including a nice view of Cougar from the west (first pic).  Half the distance compared to the summer trail and more cool terrain 8).  What a wkend.  Glad all had so much fun!
Boot very creative access to Shriner.
It seems that the trees are real dense coming from that direction, did you use dead reckoning as a compass?
This is one of my favorite hikes in the fall, great colors on leaves and a good workout. As we mentioned earlier the views are spectacular.
Seems like there is a fair amount of snow there up high, from my vantage one could ski west from the lookout for about 1500vf. If one took the actual trail, I assume there would be a substantial amount of carry since most of the real trail faces south.

Nice double shot trips.
Joe

Joe, I was a little worried about the trees too, but they turned out to be widely spaced, older growth stuff with 4-6' and more of coverage except at the creeks.  It would actually be an awesome place for big forest glade skiing in the winter.

a pic of the lower gladed area and a view towards Couger.  Tree skiing would be nice in winter but skiing it now, is like skiing on a bed of branches, nasty.

Reply to this TR

shriner-peak-june-15-2008
Boot
2008-06-16 20:13:24