Home > Trip Reports > June 15, 2008, Plummer Peak

June 15, 2008, Plummer Peak

6/15/08
Posted by Zap on 6/16/08 1:09pm
Although Jeanette is on the sidelines for a few weeks, we now have a base camp supervisor who is providing the €œMasters€ logistical support.  We no longer need to €œvet€ trip reports, check the weather forecasts, telemetry or radar sites.  She contacts her €œsleeper ski cells€, plus folks we are not supposed to even ask about.  All this is provided in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie.  Are we lucky or what? 

So when I asked Ron (only he is allowed to discuss these issues with Jeanette) where we going on Sunday, I received an encrypted message with only one word €“ Plummer.  I whispered to Jill €“ its Plummer, and then said to Ron 'OK, we€™ll see you at the Tall Timbers for breakfast€™.  This week it€™s Bonnie, Darryl, Jill, Ron and me.  We arrived at the Reflection Lakes parking area and saw a young couple skinning towards Castle.  We did the €œsenior stutter€ until all signs of life were non-existent in the parking lot and began the ascent to Plummer.  It was a beauty of a day and we were the only ones there, while at Paradise the lot was already full.  Ron had to swing by Paradise before our departure, and he saw over a hundred ski types preparing to head for Muir.  Geez!  At the base of Plummer Chute, the corn was just softening and the surface was smooth.  The first steep pitch was also smooth and easy for ski crampons.  The basin had avy debris at climbers center, so we skirted left and ascended the ridge that separates Pinnacle and Plummer.  The north facing terrain was consolidated corn while the steep northeast face had 6€ ski penetration.  Once on the ridge, we continued up to Plummer Peak on a perfect corn surface. 

After lunch we descended 2100vf on some of the nicest cream corn of the season. Jill and I were barking and yelping during our descent, while Bonnie, Darryl and Ron had gigantic smiles affixed to their face the whole afternoon.  We saw no one and enjoyed a small segment of solitude while the masses descended upon Paradise. It€™s difficult to have so much fun and still have it be legal.  Thanks Jeanette €“ you done good!

Photo 1 - The "Masters" and backside of Pinnacle and Castle

Photo 2 - Ron, notice the right pole repair glistening
Another Stellar report, Zap.
With work like that we may have to elect you to be the permanent scribe  ;)
This pic tells us that you may know how to do more than write, however:

Jill

Bonnie

and Darryl

all seemed to have their way with the corn as well.
More Pics HERE.

For the upper mountain junkies there's also a few more south side shots like this

that might help in deciding your best potential lines for the next few days.

author=Zap link=topic=10363.msg41786#msg41786 date=1213675784]
Although Jeanette is on the sidelines for a few weeks, we now have a base camp supervisor who is providing the “Masters” logistical support.  We no longer need to “vet” trip reports, check the weather forecasts, telemetry or radar sites.  She contacts her “sleeper ski cells”, plus folks we are not supposed to even ask about.  All this is provided in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie.  Are we lucky or what? 

Nothing more than mastering the Ouija Board  ;D. 

Thanks Zap for the kind words, this is one of my favorite tours and I figured it would be a dandy given the weather and everyone else headed to the mountain on such a glorious weekend.  Thanks Ron, Bonnie, and Darryl for stopping by my house afterwards and sharing the whole day.  They were still smiling  :D while talking about the great time and snow.  It's nice to be kept in the loop. 
Great photos Ron, I felt like I was right there with the gang.   

Jeanette - THANKS for the great trip planning and treating us to a delicious Dad's day dinner. 

Only Ron's jokes are more colorful than the beautiful pictures that Zap and Ron took.

VERY nice trip report Zap, and the ski pole repair shot was magical! It was indeed a magical day and I hope Monday was equal. Thanks again to Jeanette and Garfunkel for route planning and execution. Great day, great company!

Reply to this TR

june-15-2008-plummer-peak
Zap
2008-06-16 20:09:44