Home > Trip Reports > Cougar Pk, William O' Wilderness, June 14, 2008

Cougar Pk, William O' Wilderness, June 14, 2008

6/15/08
Posted by Boot on 6/16/08 12:56pm
I knew there were going to be a ton of huge trips out there this wkend; kudos to all those who shared.  Little did I know, so many of them would have been within view of where we were Sat and Sunday.

Cougar Pk at 6624' is second only to Dewey in this area south-east of Chinook Pass and sits 1600' above Cougar Lk.  Most have seen it from CM or Chinook area as a prominant large snow filled prow.  For several years it has struck me as a ski destination, but is quite remote.  I've summer hiked the PCT to near it, but have been longing for a more direct route.  I tried/failed last spring from the Bumping Lk side.  With this years deep and low snow-pack I was drawn to the Deer Crk approach from the east of Hwy 123.  There were a couple dicey snow-bridge creek crossings, but the route goes nicely and from the chute leading up to the PCT on to the summit of Cougar was beautiful, remote, open, high country and total solitude.  Weather, as you all know was spectacular and the corn, especially from summit to lake was icing on the cake ;D.  There was a short ride from PCT toward American Lk, another one down to Cougar, and two more on the way out for a total of 5350' and an 11 hour day.  360 Views from Cougar summit were amazing.
Nice TR I have always wanted to head in that direction.

Nice pics!  Way to hit it Boot!

nice one. A few of us made to that peak - I didn't know it was called Cougar Pk - a couple years ago. We basically followed the PCT from Chinook Pass and back. Long day but not too bad. We made summit, but only skied from below that steep pitch, as it was kind of melted out at that spot.

Nice boot -- it's so cool to see all the other spots in your first picture that I now recognize a little better from our Summerland tour Sunday (and all the other TRs from that general area).  So much good stuff to be had.

Another creative access and great trip Boot and company.
That saved a lot of miles to get in there compared to md2020 trip a couple years ago found here.
Very inspiring report from a remote area.
As always, I am interested in more pictures. 
Joe

Thanks Joe.  I'll see if Schu has any pics to throw up.

another couple pics

Reply to this TR

cougar-pk-william-o-wilderness-june-14-2008
Boot
2008-06-16 19:56:51