Home > Trip Reports > My father's day present 06/15/08 Stevens Pass

My father's day present 06/15/08 Stevens Pass

6/15/08
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Robert Connor on 6/16/08 5:53am
This was a small objective for the big people in our family, but a big objective for the little people.  My wife asked what I wanted for father's day and I said that I wanted to go skiing as a family.  Our family includes my wife, our 4 year old daughter Olivia and 8 month old son Caedan.  I knew I needed to pick an achievable trip since this would be my wife€™s first time on skins and the first time skiing other than by riding a lift for both my wife and daughter.  We decided to head up to Stevens and the skyline lift which we have skied with Olivia the last two winters.  I knew that Olivia could hike the whole thing, but I wasn€™t sure if she would have the legs to ski back down if she did.  So, we settled on a combination of hiking

and riding in a sled which I towed.

I looked like a human pack mule with Caedan in the front pack, my backpack with group gear and Olivia€™s skis and Olivia ride up in the sled, but it was worth it.  We made a leisurely trip up with my wife remarking that skinning was easier than she thought it would be (a good sign, opening the possibility of future trips).  They sat down for lunch while I hiked up Nancy Chute for a few solo turns.  When I got back down we strapped the saucer sled to my pack, put Caedan in the front pack and pushed off.

Olivia made some good turns, but resorted to her straight line snow plow at times.

I thought that Caedan would like skiing down with my, but that was not the case.  It may have been the wind in his face or his lack of confidence in my skills, but when I turned him from facing out to facing my chest he was much happier.  You can still ski continuously to the base area, but next weekend there may be a short carry required.  The snow was in great shape firmer than I had found on Mt. Pilchuck the day before and reasonably smooth.  When we made it back to the car Darlene and Olivia were talking about doing it again.  It looks like I may have found some new partners.  I couldn€™t have asked for anything more for father€™s day. 

You' a pack animal.  I rode lifts on skinny teles 18 years ago carrying my boy when he was 2-1/2, and it worked me.

Great trip!  I had been taking my son out this year hoping to get him hooked on hiking for turns, but I never thought that my daughter would like it at 5 years old.  She is also a Stevens veteran and probably would have loved doing the sort of trip you guys did.

On the other hand I had noticed the disappointment on her face when she saw us packing up for the trip and she was not invited.  Your trip is inspiring and I will see if I can give it a go, if not this year, next.

Alan

Reply to this TR

my-father-s-day-present-06-15-08-stevens-pass
Robert Connor
2008-06-16 12:53:10