Home > Trip Reports > June 15, 2008, Summerland Mount Rainier

June 15, 2008, Summerland Mount Rainier

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by dkoelle on 6/16/08 1:00am
Nice trip with Charles.  In brief: 98% snow covered to the road.  The main bridge was fine but required even Charles to de-ski.  Perhaps the highlight was the nicely groomed, fast but not too fast ski trail out through the woods.  Instead of a 3 mile death march it was fairly relaxing forest skiing with nicely visible smear marks from the skiers in front.  Aside from an "interesting" wet loose experience below Meany crest the upper reaches (Whitman glacier to crest/ridge) were also very good.  The main "Summerland face" coming up out of Fryingpan creek was excellent on the way down.  A few pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/koelle/ 
This was a really fun trip! On the way up I wasn't so sure that the turns would be that good and was regretting bringing my joke boots and waxless (and "skinny") skis, but except for a short stretch right above Meany Crest where the crust of the newer snow was only sometimes supportive, the turns were great! Firn spiegel from Whitman Crest to the crummy section on the lower Fryingpan Glacier, mush on skier's left of the upper Meany Crest bowl where David took a little ride. On the slope above Summerland, we traversed left to get away from tracks and some mush and found nicely consolidated corn, all the way down the valley into the small trees, where it was necessary to stay in recent tracks to avoid grabbiness. Once over the "sagging bridge" and into the forest, the fun toboggan ride began. Thank you to the skiers who descended before us for smoothing off all of the dirty bumps - that was one of the most enjoyable trail exits I've experienced. With some very short sections of all-terrain skiing, we were able to ski to the car!

I've taken the liberty to use David's three photo posts here.

David on upper Fryingpan Glacier below Whitman Crest (looks nasty up above but the turns were great on the smoother snow to looker's left):

David skiing away from his conveyor belt ride in upper Meany Crest bowl (he got off the slide about 1/3 of the way down):

David enjoying the toboggan ride through the forest:

I half expected to run into you up there on Saturday Charles.  We had the Crest to ourselves on Saturday but ran into lots of climbers and skiers from Meany on down.  The entire Mod Squad was there,  Eric, Julie, Pat,  Tom, Mary, Allen, and Megan.  Great skiing on Saturday as the Firnspeigel was soft and fast.  Lots of "whumps" on the Fryingpan as the week old snow settled under the skin track,  made the stomach jump a few times.  Julie stuck around for the Interglacier on Sunday, and last I heard was headed for Muir on Monday; those legs just don't get tired.

Enjoyed the boot and ski wash at the Trailhead.  Even on skis, that trail seems longer on the way out, especially when there's a cold one waiting at the car.  Glad you guys had a great day up there too!

Reply to this TR

june-15-2008-summerland-mount-rainier
dkoelle
2008-06-16 08:00:47