Home > Trip Reports > 2008, June 14-15 SummerLand

2008, June 14-15 SummerLand

6/15/08
Posted by Randito on 6/15/08 11:36pm
Skied both days.   Skinned up almost from the road.   Footbridge across Fryingpan creek at 5200ft is in serviceable condition -- despite the "bridge out" sign and warped hand rail.  Camped in the stone shelter -- which was mostly empty of snow and much cleaner than expected.  It looks like the park service is now encouraging its use and doing some degree of maintenance.   On Sat afternoon we skied laps on the moderate slopes just SW from SummerLand between 7000 and 5500ft.  The corn was near perfect down to 6000ft, still good but slightly sticky below.  On Sun.  we skied over Panhandle gap and took a lap on the east facing slopes on perfect corn -- before heading over to Banshee peak.    A short section of "heather" skiing was needed on these gentle SW facing slopes -- but the view from the top was wide ranging -- all the WA volcanoes, except Baker were visible.   On the ski out found that several sections of trail had melted out just overnight -- so I expect next weekend will require much more ski packing.   Sorry no pictures -- my camera stayed at home recharging all weekend #$$@$%!.
I was wondering if the party we saw touring east of Pandhandle Gap had some TAY'ers in it.....I was with the party of seven who toured by ya where you were having lunch on Sunday.  We were doing a traverse from Summerland to Owyhigh Lakes via Cowlitz Chimneys  (TR and pics later today)... beautiful area up there....very cool views of the broad east facing terrain of Rainier.

Nice work Randy,
Standing on the top of Tamanos looking for tracks on the Fryingpan, to far and to bright to see tracks from a far. That looked like great Terrain over there!
From my vantage it looked like if someone wanted to go up Goat Island the best approach (snow covered) is staying to the right by the bridge and traversing to the south end and back tracking up the ridge. What do you think?

author=Pete A link=topic=10347.msg41719#msg41719 date=1213630427] We were doing a traverse from Summerland to Owyhigh Lakes via Cowlitz Chimneys

I was considering a future deviation from my trip from to Tamanos last Saturday (above Owyhigh), one could feasibly drop in to the saddle between Tamanos and the Sarvant Glacier and traverse to Summerland.
The Chimneys looked good, some good size cornices still on top and could see some signs of separations opening on the steeper sections.
Can't wait to read that report.

View of Rainier from Tamanos Mtn

I was wondering if the party we saw touring east of Pandhandle Gap had some TAY'ers

Hey Pete, that was probably Mary and me.  We did a traverse through Summerland and Panhandle gap to the Ohanapecosh gl, then to Whitman Crest and down the Frying Pan.  Beautiful day.  I think we may have seen your group at the Owyhigh TH as we drove out. 

author=Paul_Russell link=topic=10347.msg41729#msg41729 date=1213635728]
Hey Pete, that was probably Mary and me.  We did a traverse through Summerland and Panhandle gap to the Ohanapecosh gl, then to Whitman Crest and down the Frying Pan.  Beautiful day.  I think we may have seen your group at the Owyhigh TH as we drove out. 

If it was just shy of 7 p.m., that was us -- I think we saw you up above, on the way to Panhandle, as we were coming up into the basin above the Frying Pan bridge... gorgeous day...

From my vantage it looked like if someone wanted to go up Goat Island the best approach (snow covered) is staying to the right by the bridge and traversing to the south end and back tracking up the ridge. What do you think?

I suppose you could go that what, but above the point where the trail crosses the creek the is a lot of avalanche debris and slide alder -- so it it might be a bit messy.   Since the bridge is currently usable -- I think it would be easier to cross the bridge, follow the trail another 1/2 mile or so then head for the low point on the ridge between K'Spire and Goat Island.    In terms of skiing -- I think Goat Island might already be past it's peak -- at least on the side facing Summerland there are already large bare sections.

Reply to this TR

2008-june-14-15-summerland
Randito
2008-06-16 06:36:04