Home > Trip Reports > Tranquil Ruth and Glacier Basin Trail Carnage

Tranquil Ruth and Glacier Basin Trail Carnage

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Teleskichica on 6/15/08 2:06pm
What they don't tell you about the approach to Interglacier/Ruth is that Mother Nature has once again dealt a severe blow to the Glacier Basin Trail.  The river and stream beds have overtaken some of it, and in places, it is obliterated with avalanche debris but well marked with caution tape throughout.  It is about 3 miles before you can start skinning and there are a few river crossings--watch those edges of thin overhanging snow . . .

Now to the good part!  After reading all the accolades for Interglacier skiing, Jeff, Richard and I headed out early this morning to get some fresh June corn.  As it was, we noticed Ruth, looking a little quiet, a little demure and a little inviting.  "Hey, why don't we skin up that way a little bit and ski back down as a taster before approaching Interglacier?"  we thought.  The morning was still young and we were enjoying a casual pace, with no real agenda.  After lunch around the 7500ft mark, it was determined that the snow was in prime condition for a decent and we had to take advantage of it. 

Thus, we commenced first sweet turns of the day.  Wowwee!  Fun.  We had to do it again.  And so we did, this time all the way to the peak, where we ate second lunch and enviously overlooked the glacier and its lengthy, continuous line down.  (Not to mention the continuous masses of people compared to our desolate Ruth . . . ) After some hemming and hawing, we decided to go ahead and stick to the lines that Ruth had to offer . . .

It was perfection!  Coverage was excellent, the sun had baked it to a perfect corn, and cool breezes had kept the snow to a firm enough consistency not to leave us sinking in any kind of mush.  Turn after, lovely turn, we made our mark on the vast expanse of white; once again, enjoying a blank canvas all to ourselves!  8)

Pictures tomorrow.  :)
Way to grab it!  I think Ruth gets overlooked in comparison with Interglacier, but with the way it's rock ridges sit, it's more protected from the wind, but still accumulates some good deposit.  And it sits perfect for the sun to hit it for some nice corn!  Way to nail it!

I think we saw you guys heading up for your second lap as we came out in the open at the bottom of Glacier Basin. Looked nice! We pondered following you up, but decided to keep moving toward Steamboat Prow. Our best turning snow started from close to the elevation of Mt Ruth, so between conditions and relative solitude, I think you had a nice optimization strategy.

I'd go back to check out Ruth soon, but I'm happy to let the memory of the "trail" die back a little first. On our hike out, we saw a couple of NPS volunteers working a section of trail on our way out. It was a little confusing - the woman was shoveling out what I assume she intended to be a new boottrack - not sure that that was actually accomplishing - and the man was just watching her while he leaned on his tool. A a classic "public works project!" In any case, given the high traffic, it is nice that they've flagged a single route through some of the debris.

A couple of pictures:
And a few more if this doesn't satisfy. (Plus a glimpse of Interglacier's crevasse.)

Nice lycra! 
I think I have a pair in navy blue with a white stripe.
Looks like you folks had some awesome turns!

I think Jeff Is going to start a retro trend here. He never looks that happy when he's on tour with me.

I spoke with a couple of rangers along the glacier basin trail.  I asked why the delay in repairing the trail, thinking that with all the trail crews waiting in limbo for the high country to melt out why not get to it? They said the trail is in a designated wilderness area and has to go through an environmetal review before the new trail can be put in - may be a year or two before it gets built.

Holly & Richard, thanks  for another great day. Now that I've seen the pics I finally realize why I brought the Xploders even tho the bindings are annoying---better color coordination! (especially the flaming orange skins)

Reply to this TR

tranquil-ruth-and-glacier-basin-trail-carnage
Teleskichica
2008-06-15 21:06:31