Home > Trip Reports > Victum Romanorum - 6.13-14.08

Victum Romanorum - 6.13-14.08

6/15/08
Posted by Stugie on 6/15/08 4:18am
Victum Romanorum is "Conquering the Roman (wall)", a goal of mine since a failed summit attempt via the Coleman last year.  This year, Kyle and I opted for the Easton Glacier for a better fall line.

We ended up setting up camp right at the junction of the Squak and Easton glaciers.  We had to jimmy-rig the tent due to a dissapearing pole.  Search in the morning concluded it must have slid down an embankment, off a cornice and onto a relatively short but steep slope.  After retrieving the pole and loading up on calories, we were off.

Jimmy-rigged tent.

We had gotton lucky on Friday the 13th, so we had high hopes for Saturday.  Turned out to be good.  We reached the summit (not sure of time, we really didn't care honestly).  Made a descent pace up and met up with Matt C and Tom on summit.  They had summited via Coleman and were rockin' the skis and splitboard respectively.  Really nice guys, and it be great to tour with you if we get the chance to meet up!  I'm always down for a surf sess too, I'm dying to hit Tofino sometime!

Summit through snake eyes

Besides a couple of snowmachines who crossed over a snowbridge while Kyle was on it, and the 5 snowmachines that rocketed past me on the hike out kicking rocks in my face, they weren't that bad.  We saw them here and there, but for the most part, the steady "gnnnnnnn" of their engines was rather distant.  On the way down we met a really nice machinist named Patrick.  He worked S&R for Baker and was taking pics of us coming down.  Really nice guy.  We had P-E-R-F-E-C-T corn all the way down to the snomo tracks below Easton glacier, and even the snomoed slop was half descent to ski.  Spectacular weather window.  Here's the rest of the pics...

Crater

Kyle rides above the clouds...

Soaking in the sunburn...

It wouldn't be complete without the "Victum Romanorum"...

The last three are 1) Kyle by the crater rim 2) Kyle approaching the summit with Sherman in the back 3) Kyle killing Roman   -   modified to add the date and: Easton, Demming, and Squak glaciers are opening up rapidly.  We ran into twice as many crevasses (some just starting to open, .5-2') on the way down as we did on the way up.  Just a note of caution in light of all the recent reports.
Good times other then the tent pole  ;)

heres a link with more photos
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125628

Ya Scott, it was great meeting you and Kyle at the summit. No better way to spend a Saturday in my opinion. Our turns down the Coleman were great until we got to the steep slope above the bivi sites...that's where the snow turned a little heavy...beats walking down though. Looking forward to some future surf or turns. Great pics by the way!

Thanks Matt!  Unfortunately, the following day was a tragic one and the people this happened to were camped not more than a football field E of where Kyle and I were at.

Climber dies on Mt. Baker

Reply to this TR

victum-romanorum-6-13-14-08
Stugie
2008-06-15 11:18:51