Home > Trip Reports > Muir, June 14, 2008, Slabs and Sunburn

Muir, June 14, 2008, Slabs and Sunburn

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by BigRed on 6/15/08 2:17am
Beautiful day on at Muir yesterday if you didn't mind the crowds.  The corn was good pretty much all the way down.  We skinned up more on the paradise glacier side after pebble creek to avoid the crowds.  Stopped a little short of camp muir and skied down and into the Nisqually.   

We noticed minor settling of the recent snow on our skin up.  I though it was worth a little caution after reading the report from Helens the other day: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=10314.0 

Turned out to be warranted - there were quite a few slides across the Nisqually that appeared to be skier triggered.  There was also a skier triggered slab over a roller at the top of the main nisqually chute that ran all the way to the bottom of the chute.  Most of the activity seamed to be on more east facing slopes - probably due to more time in the sun.

Speaking of time in the sun - I got cooked!  Don't buy sunblock at QFC, the stuff I bought did not work even with 5 applications. 

Reply to this TR

muir-june-14-2008-slabs-and-sunburn
BigRed
2008-06-15 09:17:21