Home > Trip Reports > 2008, June 14, Paradise 4 Xing to McClure Rock

2008, June 14, Paradise 4 Xing to McClure Rock

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Andrew Carey on 6/14/08 6:44am
left the house at 8:50 a.m., started up 4th crossing at about 10 a.m. skinned up Mazama to Van Trump Memorial then to Paradise River and up to the bare base of McClure Rock, ate lunch, skied down and back to the road at 12:00; home by 1 p.m.  so you can guess how good the snow was with the 2,000 vf climb, lunch, and descent in 2 hrs. :-)  snow was just a little icy on the way up Mazama (it stays in the shadows till about 10 or so) and just getting a little soft and sticky as we approached paradise valley road on the way back.  The rest: perfect corn.
Thanks Andy ,Sounds like you have been busy ! Is the paradise valley rd open yet ?

Andy, Dorothea & I followed your tracks as far as "5th" crossing.  What an honor to ski once again with a 78 year-young legend!  Perfect corn from almost the top of Cowlitz Rock to the base of River Run.  Amazingly clean & smooth for the middle of June!

Robie, the Valley Road is still barricaded about halfway to 4th Xing, unless additional parking is needed on busy days.  No problem to scale the roadcut on either side of Paradise River.  Joe on the road crew said the remaining plowing should be finished Tuesday, but he wouldn't venture a guess about when the public might be allowed to drive it.

Gary ,Glad you and Dorothea got out . i'm moping around here being that I'm on call this weekend. I'm living varcariously through through trip reports.

I forgot to mention there were several wet slides off the E-facing 'Muir Wall' above the old Ice Caves during the early afternoon.  They all stopped where the slope angle eased.

June 15: ditto :-)  but saw one small skier-triggered slab on the way up today that a skier following our tracks yesterday apparently set off (he came down later than we did).

Reply to this TR

2008-june-14-paradise-4-xing-to-mcclure-rock
Andrew Carey
2008-06-14 13:44:45