Home > Trip Reports > November 20, 2003, Alpental

November 20, 2003, Alpental

11/20/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by MW88888888 on 11/20/03 4:01am
I pulled into the Alpental Ski Area parking lot a little before 6 am.  I had enjoyed 2nd tracks on the 3-4" of powder on the drive up the access road and found snow up to the wheel wells in the unplowed parking lot beside the Covered Bridge.    

Boy what a difference a day makes.  On Tuesday I had endured driving rain and wind on a sloppy skin to a spot at the top of the Express lift (vowing not to proceed higher into the tempest), while today Alpental had been transformed into a winter wonderland.  The Ski Area later reported 22" at the base with 7" new in a day, and that seemed about right, but it sure skied deeper.  I walked across the covered bridge and up the conveniently lit-up ski run under the express chairlift, choosing quickly to abandon skinning in favor of kicking steps up the frozen sub-surface under the light new-fallen powder.  

How deep was the snow?  It took me 1 hour and 1/2 to grind up the treacherous 1,260' vertical to the top of the express chair, in knee and thigh deep powder.  Nice powder, too, the cold, pre-dawn kind that billows up and hints of continental moisture content.  As the sun rose I crested the saddle next to the top of the chairlift and reached my turn around time.  I was bubbling with anticipation and I quickly mounted skis.

One thing was abundantly clear - I had no business on these slopes with my skinny skis.  My snowboard would have improved flotation, even with the prospect of traverses.  Oh well, I wallowed and bonzai'd my way down the slope in a mad search for smooth, steep terrain, counting my lucky stars to be concerned with such dilemmas so early in the ski season.

Then it happened.

I crested a roller at high speed and crashed into the ramp on the other side and a cold wave of snow smashed into my face and covered my glasses in a thick, sticky glob of white.  My first face shot of the season!  

The remainder of the run I followed my boot pack, enjoying the tracks in the flat spots and repeating my mantra of "Tips Up!" when the terrain steepened.

How's the avy stability? A friend and I are going up to do some climbing on Sunday, but I'm taking my skis.

I went up there Thursday too for a short tour to check things out.  I didn't go above chair 1, but I think that's where it will be better/deeper.  It was snowing and should be a couple new.  I might head  up again on Sunday, although riding the lifts certainly has some appeal.  I am wondering if heading out to Source Lake might be a good idea, it often seems to get a bit more snow in that part of the valley.  

I'm not real sure about Avy danger.  I just cruised the ski trails, but off trail you might see this: 6" - 24" frozen with 2' of fresh on top.  Sounds pretty iffy until that top layer sets up!

AlpC - Well, I'm driving over SnoQ pass yet again today, so I may head to Stevens Sunday to mix things up.  Of course I'm going to ski today!  

Alpental was sweet yesterday.  Left the upper parking lot and made three laps on lower nash.  Trail breaking was a pain but yo-yo-ing made for fast skiining after the track was in.  Stability was good, nothing moving on the skin or on the ski.  Lots of little sluffs coming off of the cliffs above but nothing major.  Some small point release of the newer snow came down and covered parts of the skin track but again just small amounts, here and there.  Over all stability was a go.  I did not go above the flats at the top of Snake Dance, just below Upper Nash.  I initially had wanted to go to the top but, weighing the options of more trail breaking vs. yo-yoing lower nash I decided to go with the latter.  The snow as you go higher was lighter and deeper and on some of those steeper bowls might be a little iffy.  Also up higher there were more large boulders to navigate.  I hit more rock on the higher areas than I did in the middle portions of Lower Nash, especially dropping down from that flat area below upper nash.  The skiing was good though, nice deep snow.  Good to see it really piling up this year.  Things seem to be off to a good start.
Ross
Ross

I skinned the Silver Fir chair at Ski Acres this morning.  I got some decient turns during a couple of laps on the upper part of the "Outback" run.  Too much brush and little creeks on the lower section -- but no rock damage to my skis.  

Updated to include photo

I skipped out on my last class of the day to go do some hiking at Alpental. I started hiking at around noon.  Thanks to MW8888888 for the steps, I can't imagine being the first one. Unfortunately enough, I brought my older rock board. I have way outgrown it (Its a 155 and I am 6'5").  Had to straightline everything leaning WAY back just to stay afloat. I guess thats the price for  2 feet of dry powder.

Went back today and cleaned up where I left off.  This time with my short board.  I had a little time so I began hiking up above the Express lift, but found the snow too deep without my snow shoes.  And breaking trail would have been hell alone.  I'm with Ross, the better skiing was in the middle so I yo-yod that section twice today.

Reply to this TR

november-20-2003-alpental
MW88888888
2003-11-20 12:01:39