Home > Trip Reports > June 10, 2008, Interglacier

June 10, 2008, Interglacier

6/10/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JimH on 6/11/08 8:36am
Gorp, Plinko  and I headed to the Interglacier hoping for improving weather and summer powder. We got the later, which was worth the effort.

The wind howled like a banshee above about 7k, storming downslope across the Interglacier. There were several very strong gusts that stopped progress for a minute or two and kept us from going higher than about 8400 - it was Antarctica up higher. Frostbite was a possibility, though the skis made for a very quick and enjoyable escape after tagging a couple blown in powder stashes. It was a fun ride down.

It was a real downer to come home and learn that another party, on the other side of the mountain, was coming home one member short. Our condolences to the friends and family, and many thanks to those who took part in the rescue.
So that was you we saw up there - you did good to get as high as you did.  We probably only made it to 7500ft or so before running into the spot where all the new snow disappeared and skinning became difficult in the raging wind on a splitboard.

The wind was so calm at the bottom of the basin we wondered why everyone on the interglacier was mostly lying down, or moving at a snail's pace.

We did a 2nd run on the ridge above the entrance to the basin, and that's where we found the best/deepest snow (unfortunately damp by this time) - and suprisingly almost no wind.

author=philfort link=topic=10300.msg41528#msg41528 date=1213233482]

The wind was so calm at the bottom of the basin we wondered why everyone on the interglacier was mostly lying down, or moving at a snail's pace.

Yeah, I figured we were providing good entertainment for the small tent city in the center of the basin. I was more or less prostrate for a couple minutes while I added layers and threw on my ski crampons. It was a little silly.

If we'd had more time I think we would have taken a few laps in and around the basin as well. Glad you had a good ski there.

Very stong effort!  Glad you got some pow!

Reply to this TR

june-10-2008-interglacier
JimH
2008-06-11 15:36:06