Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2008, - Mt Bachelor Pow, OR

June 7, 2008, - Mt Bachelor Pow, OR

6/7/08
OR elsewhere
Posted by stoudema on 6/10/08 12:21pm
Apoligies for the late TR. 

With a limited time window available due to vacation with family in central Oregon, I met Todd at the Sunrise gate about 8:30.  It was cold, and had snowed several inches overnight (it had even snowed in Sunriver where I was staying the day before!).  The weather was beautiful sunny and about 29 degrees.  The skin up took about a hour and a half to go the 2600 vertical or so.  There was quite a bit of rime ice on the lifts and around the summit.  We traversed over to the westerly point of the summit crater and dropped in. 

The snow was deeper than expected, about a foot or so.  Face shots in June - it kind of suprised me.  As the cold smoke hit my face I got that sweet sensation of sheer suprise from how cold the snow was followed by a large grin ;D  The snow was stable and had bonded well to the older layer below.

Here's a shot from the summit with Tumalo to the north.......

The turns down the mountain turned to slush/corn at about 7000 feet.  Down at the car it was pretty gloppy. 

It should be good up at Bachelor for some time this year.  I'm hoping they get the road plowed to access the South Sister soon, as it's looking good!  Here's a picture of Broken Top........

Bachelor from the Sunrise base............

Nice shot...both with the camera and the snow! ;)

author=stoudema link=topic=10298.msg41483#msg41483 date=1213154465]
I'm hoping they get the road plowed to access the South Sister soon, as it's looking good!

It's not just looking good, it's looking TASTY! Broken Top coverage is also amazing! I think I feel a road trip coming on ...

Powder
Bluebird
Bachelor
June

Hard to believe, but you've got the pix to prove it...
Good work Matt

I finally figured out the thumbnails and added a few more pictures..............

Reply to this TR

june-7-2008-mt-bachelor-pow-or
stoudema
2008-06-10 19:21:05