Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Deception Northeast Chute 6-8-08

Mt. Deception Northeast Chute 6-8-08

6/15/08
Posted by Lowlander on 6/9/08 10:47am
      With Partly Sunny skies predicted for the Olympics on Sunday, my wife and I decided to head out to Mt. Deception for the weekend. We wanted to get away from the city for a night so we made it a 2 day trip. We couldn't throw on the skins until we reached Royal Basin.
     Sunday we awoke to blue skies and warm weather. We climbed the Northeast Chute in a T-shirt and found the snow conditions to be incredible. Although there was a little slide debris the snow was soft enough to ride it.

The top of the chute was a good 50 degrees and a small gulley formed in the middle of the chute, narrowing it a bit more. You can see the obvious ski line.

My wife coming down the near the top of the chute

Looking up the chute with the gully on the right

Kelly making the jump turns

Myself enjoying the soft snow on the lower portion of the chute

There is still lots of skiing to be had around the Royal Basin area, and I highly recommend this one.
I'd recommend that one too.  8)

Nice!  Looks like some great turns on Sunday!  Definitely good weather!  Nice work, nice pics!

That's a great looking chute!

We were up there two weekends ago, and were eyeing that one, but got too late a start.

Nice to see the Olympics get done.  Bet there weren't any other tracks up there.

Saw a few tracks on some side peaks but nothing on Deception. Also, nothing on the Needles, but there is also little snow there.

We were in there climbing this weekend. This chute looks like it's still in shape (see the photo). Royal Basin is still full of snow that is corning up very nicely in the early to mid morning.

On the approach in, continuous snow is not found until after the lower meadows but it's easy to keep the skis on after that.

Reply to this TR

mt-deception-northeast-chute-6-8-08
Lowlander
2008-06-09 17:47:18