Home > Trip Reports > June 8, 2008, Silver Queen

June 8, 2008, Silver Queen

6/8/08
Posted by romad96 on 6/9/08 4:39am
First post, but I€™m a season-long reader.

I booted from the Crystal Mtn. parking lot to the top of the Chinook Express lift via Skid Row, on dirt most of the way, then skinned up to Powder Pass and booted the final 400€™ or so up to the top of Silver Queen via the north ridge.  I topped out about noon, and by then the northeast to east facing Powder Bowl was really soft, with about 6-8€ of boot penetration, so I opted for the northwest aspect down into Mt. Rainier NP instead (I€™m sure this run has a name, but I don€™t know what it is).  This turned out to be a great choice and I skied down about 700€™-800€™ vertical on 2€ of corn atop a firm base.  Then I hiked back up to the ridge to about the 6700€™ level and skied down the east-facing bowl between Silver Queen and Powder Pass.  Total soup, and I set off very small wet slides with just about each turn.  From there, it was very mushy snow back down to just above the parking lot via Tinkerbelle.  But what a beautiful, warm, mostly sunny day.

Sorry for the low-res pics €“ the only camera I had with me was the one in my phone.
Welcome to the group.  Thanks for the TR and the photo looking east.  Always nice to see what remains of the snowpack in that direction.

Reply to this TR

june-8-2008-silver-queen
romad96
2008-06-09 11:39:27