Home > Trip Reports > June 8, 2008, DeRoux/Esmerelda

June 8, 2008, DeRoux/Esmerelda

6/8/08
Posted by wolfs on 6/9/08 3:39am
I had originally planned to go to Fortune and S Ingalls but made last minute decision at trailhead to backtrack down the road to DeRoux and try a new area and maybe tag a new Teanaway summit. I would spend the next few hours second guessing that decision - it was a LONG way to skiable snow up the DeRoux trail. Booted all the way to the creek crossing where the valley flattens out (~5K), which took at least 1.5 hours. From here went a little ways past and went for the first decent stretch of snow that looked like it continuously went to the Esmerelda summit ridge, and even that was spotty such that I booted the adjacent bare hillside for the first 400vf. Once snow was reached started as decent corn. As I climbed, got into the elevation where the new snow from previous days was turning out to be something of an annoyance now. Pinwheels from my ascent clinkered up the whole slope; so much for the untracked aesthetic. Tagged a not-quite summit of Esmerelda, as far as I felt like going in ski boots on rock that had enough snow to hide holes and other problems, but not enough snow to cover them and boot on.

Run down Esmerelda

The run down was OK. The new snow layer went into slow sluff of course but was easy to outrace. Section below that hadn't had new was better. Wasn't good enough to make me want to lap it. Instead decided to explore the area and head up some well covered and gentle slopes in vicinity of E Hawkins, with goal of getting the JOM at least to 50% (pretty sad to have picked a tour where that's even an issue in June with all the bumperstart touring still available, o well.) This turned out to be a good decision. The area there is those cool serpentine balds you get in the Teanaway, so even with only a little snowcover you could ski anywhere. Plus the views opened up nicely, could see the whole Esmerelda ridge, and Stuart, Fortune and S Ingalls thru the gap at Fortune Cookie pass.

Fortune and Stuart

Somehow, someone had brought their snomos up here in the previous 24 hours. Probably in from the Fortune jeep road? Tracks on Esmerelda, E Hawkins, and the big white bowl below Hawkins. The one other group I saw on trail all day (they were heading out) had camped at Gallagher Head and reported hearing/seeing them. Lots of highmarks on the various appealing slopes. Must have been done earlier than I skied because none of their tracks generated much sliding. It's hardly "wilderness" (and is perfectly legal there), but it's a bit of a shame that during the short window you might expect the winterlong snomos to be gone, and before the horses and motorbikes take it over, that there isn't a little human powered peace and quiet up there.

Esmerelda on the Gallagher Head side - so much for that slope ...
I heard the snomo's on Sat coming from that direction.

I was in that area on Saturday and met the snowmobilers. I took the same approach as Haggis, but didn't bring my skis (I wished I had them once I crossed the creek and hit the solid snow). I booted my way up Hawkins. I had planned to scramble to the top of Hawkins, but after getting up to the ridge and waiting a while for the clouds to lift, I gave up. It was snowing on and off, but the biggest problem was that the tops of both Hawkins and Gallagher Head were in the clouds all day (not much point in hiking to top if it is in clouds). After descending the shoulder of Hawkins, I ran across the snowmobilers. They had come up via Salmon La Sac. They were very friendly and legal, but of course, I find their noise and exhaust annoying. I didn't think to ask them about the details of their approach (I wish I had). The other interesting thing is that someone had lost their pack over the winter. It was sitting in the snow, with no tracks to it. The snowmobilers suggested that a snowmobiler must have lost it during the winter. That makes sense, as I can't imagine a hiker or skier not noticing a lost pack. They volunteered to take it out.

After talking to those guys (there were two of them) I went up a ridge of Gallagher Head, to see if I could get a glimpse of Stuart. I was only able to get a view of the bottom of the peak, as it was in clouds as well. Sounds like you had a better day, weather wise. Like you said, there is still plenty of snow as you get close to Hawkins and Gallagher Head (Hawkins looks to have some nice bowls).

Reply to this TR

june-8-2008-deroux-esmerelda
wolfs
2008-06-09 10:39:35