Home > Trip Reports > Steamboat Prow, Mt. Rainier - June 7, 2008

Steamboat Prow, Mt. Rainier - June 7, 2008

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 6/9/08 12:47am
Saturday evening and early Sunday morning, Preston and I found ourselves hunkered down in the confines of the Prost.  Sorry no snuff cannon shots this time.  Armed with preferred liters of fine german beer, we soaked our bones while reflecting on the day that had just past with Sergio and Rob on Mt. Rainier.

Why just 12 hours ago, hiking through some interpretive trails...

Some wind...

Usually I'm harvesting corn this time of year.  However the forecast of lower freezing levels and precipitation has rekindled my undying addiction for powder.

Skinning on the Inter glacier with Mt. Ruth's flank on the left...

Forgive me if I didn't get a photo of everyone posted.  I still have over 200 to look through.  After the first hundy, here's some of action that went down.

Gotta love pow slashes in 35 mph winds...

(photo by Preston)

Slash that pow, show it no mercy...

Any pow left under that there soft crust, no...

What an amazing day.  What an amazing year this has turned out to be.  I was fortunate enough to get some pow turns in September and fortunate enough to still get them in June.  Unbelievable.

Additional Notes:
With all that wind, there was concern about surface slabs but it wasn't to be this day.  There were excellent ribbons of powder spread about the glacier.  Only one crevasse opening around 8,400 ft. behind the shark fin.  Saw only a handful of people today.  All climbers on foot as we descended from the prow, just above 9,600 ft.
Nice job Slut,
Long time no report!
I have to admit that pictures of powder turns thrown from a snowboard are much more glamorous than the snow cast off skis. But on the flip side, pictures of powder tracks left from skis are more lovely than tracks from a snowboard.  ;) You guys do a nice job of making tracks that are very pleasing to the eye. But you know it is all art and everyone has their tastes.
Nice pictures, very entertaining.

Nice pics bro, good seeing you, Preston and the others up there!  I think we were talking to Hannah? before you guys came down, and we must have just missed Amar.  Way to kill it!  Kyle and I saw your tracks (filled in a bit, but still visable) where you had told us the powder was good, and right you were!  It was as if the slut signed his signature on the glacier! ;)  Since we hit it later we dealt with a bit of a suncrust further down, but can't complain...it's JUNE!!!  Looking forward to hitting some more Sept. pow ;)

Yeah Joe long time no report.  Stopped posting when it became more of a labor than a love.  But some late season pow has reignited that flame.  I might have to take tomorrow off to go get some more.

Btw, I love the illusion pow farming, ski tracks can create in making slopes appear bigger than the really are.

Well said Joe.  Sliding is definately an art and everybody has their own strokes against the vast canvas.

Stugie, you gotta love those free refills.  Reminiscent of last September.  Glad the Inter treated you well.

Btw, Dog Leg couly off Ruth is a very aesthetic looking line.  To get it in the conditions you had is a real treat.

I'm pretty sure the tiny figures nearing the prow are you guys...

...and for Joedabaker some ski tracks ;)

Reply to this TR

steamboat-prow-mt-rainier-june-7-2008
snoslut
2008-06-09 07:47:50