Home > Trip Reports > June 8, 2008, Naches Peak and Jeanette Commemorative Tour

June 8, 2008, Naches Peak and Jeanette Commemorative Tour

6/8/08
WA Cascades East Slopes South
Posted by Zap on 6/8/08 10:36am
Seeing Mad Dog was unable to participate in the weekly Sunday tour, I decided to join Ron and Bonnie for this commemorative tour.  It all started with breakfast at Charlies in Enumclaw.  We rehashed Robies report from Saturday at Chinook Pass in a slush cup atmosphere.  Then there were the documented sun photos with descriptive evidence of UV terrain at Crystal by Joedabaker and Amars excellent photos and report from Interglacier.  It became obvious that Robie was putting a €œspin€ on the conditions.  Ron was convinced we needed to go to Chinook.  OK buddy, you€™ve got the gas and car keys plus Bonnie was voting for Chinook. As we began the drive towards Chinook, the overcast sky began to brighten and sun pockets began appearing.  Yes siree €“ there was the sun.  We took 2 vehicles and left one south of Cayuse Pass along hwy. 123 at about 4200€™.  We then parked the other near the Chinook Pass overhead bridge.  Man, there€™s a lot of snow up there.  We€™ll still be skiing in July. 

Our plan was to travel clockwise around Naches Peak, climb to the false summit and descend to the waiting car.  We climbed 1000vf and descended 2000vf, plus we put our skis on about 10 feet from the car.  This is a classic €œsenior tour€. No hiking on dirt for us old guys.  The initial descent from Chinook was soft snow with 2-3€ ski penetration in the sun exposed areas and a breakable crust in the shady areas (hmmmm).  As we traversed doing a low ascent, the sun kept warming things and the skinning was pleasant.  The cornices in the back bowl area are sizable and still intact.  Sloughing on the eastern exposed slopes occurred during our ascent to the false summit. Once on the false summit, we had views of Rainier and Adams protruding above the cloud layer and clear skies towards Joes Bad Ass Shoulder.  The sun was warm and the air was calm.  It felt so good to be in the sun on a summit with ski terrain all around.

The skiing along the ridgeline was wonderful creamy corn with an inch of skimming snow.  As we descended the fog would briefly filter through the area but visibility was good.  The snow settled from yesterday€™s reports and there was 3-4€ ski penetration as we descended.  No big rollers just small pinwheels and sloughing on rollovers.  As we descended the sun burned thru.  The snow also softened in the trees and the new snow in the open areas covered the old surface debris. 

We stopped at the site of Jeanette€™s accident.  The offending tree branch had been severed.  A brief moment of silence was taken in honor of our fallen comrade.  It is our hope that in subsequent weeks our small community can make the appropriate gesture to honor our fellow snow enthusiast.  Ron, Bonnie and I enjoyed a €œcold one€ at the end of the tour and hope for her speedy return.

Ron had camera responsibility and I trust he will do no harm.
It became obvious that Robie was putting a “spin” on the conditions.

Why would I want the hordes to discover the beauty of Slush skiing?
After Joe's couch report and Amar's report we went for the corn instead of the stale slush. Fresh slush or nothing for us slush skiers!
I really am confused now because we skied today June 8th in the vicinity of Joe's Bad Ass Shoulder ! Perfect sun and corn from GunBarrel  chute westward on North facing. Plus lots of found  pirate loot under the quicksilver chair! Almost enough to eliminate our carbon ski print for the day ! Saw two other skiers go north over king. Also that dog Mango is something else besides also almost Knocking me down in Gunbarrel .HE /She straightlined that chute at warp speed .
"never let the truth get in the way of a good story "
Mark Twain
Sorry we missed you all

Glad the crew had a good tour at the Pass.
I have a couple shots today taken from near JBAS to Chinook Pass. A sea of clouds were pressed against the Southern peaks surrounding and some times overtaking Chinook Pass. They were really cool, in some cases they looked like a cloud waterfall pouring over the peaks and dissipating to nothing. Fantastic views. Thanks for the report, snow sounds better than I would have imagined.

author=Zap link=topic=10268.msg41362#msg41362 date=1212975407">
Ron had camera responsibility and I trust he will do no harm.

GREAT report, Zap, Thanks.
Didn't get many action shots as the snow up top was just too nice to stop for pics.
As Joe aptly pointed out the summit was really stellar with all the clouds licking at it.

Did get a shot or two of Bonnie

And Zap skiing

After we got into the softer stuff lower down.
More Pics are posted HERE.
To the lone skier enjoying the Naches true summit, email me if you'd like higher res shots of you on top.
To the bear that we seemed to be following down to Cayuse, no offense meant.  Trust me, we were not trying to catch up with you.  Email me if you'd like some pictures of your tracks.
We missed you, MadDog, is your cast off yet??!!

author=Zap link=topic=10268.msg41362#msg41362 date=1212975407]
We stopped at the site of Jeanette’s accident.  The offending tree branch had been severed.  A brief moment of silence was taken in honor of our fallen comrade.

Thanks for slaying the "dragon"  :).  Sure was thinking about everyone this weekend and missed being out there.

author=ron j link=topic=10268.msg41384#msg41384 date=1213008228]
We missed you, MadDog, is your cast off yet??!!

Not yet, I get a new cast on Tuesday, think I'll see if I can get a black one with a skull and crossbone design  ;).  One week down and ? to go.

Get better quick.  At least the snow doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Thanks for the great report Zap and the fun trip. I think we chose wisely. The freshies on Friday that turned to slurpee on Saturday were pretty well settled on Sunday. Fun in the sun!!

Reply to this TR

june-8-2008-naches-peak-and-jeanette-commemorative-tour
Zap
2008-06-08 17:36:47