Home > Trip Reports > Bluebird, Powder, Ruth, and Interglacier - 6.6-7.08

Bluebird, Powder, Ruth, and Interglacier - 6.6-7.08

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stugie on 6/8/08 5:16am
Having to work on Sunday, Kyle and I set out to get some turns in what we were hoping from the forecasts was going to be powder on Friday and Saturday.  I only have pics from my camera for now, Kyle will have to post some later.

Hiking into glacier basin on Friday through miserable rain had us reconsidering, but once we had set up camp and nabbed a quick 800vf run before sunset, we knew we had made the right decision.  The next morning we awoke to small but gradually increasing sucker windows.  This soon improved and we later realized we had one of the very few areas of fantastic weather in the Cascades.  We decided to let others do some plowing up the Interglacier and set out to grab more lines on Mt. Ruth.  We ended up summitting and getting some of the best powder on our trip.

After dropping back down to refill on water, we headed up the Interglacier to get turns.  We ran into some other TAYer's who had been up getting some goods on the Inter as well.  While we ascended, the further up we got, the worse the wind was.  We figured the walls of Mt. Ruth had actually protected the powder that we had just previously relished.  There were a few climbing teams ascending behind us, but they stopped at the "fin", so we had refills and the whole glacier down to almost 6500'.  As posted in the ranger station, there is one very obvious crevasse just above the "fin" shy of 8400'.  It is visible from above and below, but worth noting.

We tore down camp and headed out leaving behind some marmot tracks, and making to back to the lot at around 8:30pm.  Grabbing 800vf Friday and nearly 7000vf on Saturday with excellent conditions for February, not to mention June.  Fun was had all around.
Here is a post with a few more pics

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1879660#post1879660

Did anyone get pics of our tracks down Mt Ruth I would love to see them.

VERY NICE...BIG POW VERTICLE IN JUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work guys...looks great.

Kyle, for your camera being a POS, you took some nice shots.  Gotta e-mail them to me.  Curious: anyone ever navigate the ridge from Ruth to Steamboat, or even off the southern flanks of the ridge onto the Interglacier?  I'm thinking that an easier approach to Steamboat prow might be to assault Ruth, then follow the ridgeline as the skin up Ruth seemed more mellow than that up the Interglacier...

Reply to this TR

bluebird-powder-ruth-and-interglacier-6-6-7-08
Stugie
2008-06-08 12:16:52