Home > Trip Reports > JBAS, Silver King 6.7.08

JBAS, Silver King 6.7.08

6/15/08
Posted by Joedabaker on 6/7/08 11:00am
Since Chinook was less than inspiring (fog/wet), we backtracked to Crystal in search of visibility. The talk is that it is never foggy at Joe's Bad Ass Shoulder, so our crew walked to Crystal Southback and found to our delight good visibility, moving clouds and periods of sunshine. Even warm! The new snow was consolidated and glued to the underlain corn surface, but made for pretty good skinning. The skiing was great on the steep slopes of JBAS, but got sticky as the slope angle decreased. Skied Cannonball and off to Silver King on an alternate route.
Nice sunshine felt great, but made the snow sticky on the climb, good skinning. We dropped into A-basin down to Lake Elizabeth and out CMAC and Queens. Sticky snow down low, but very nice snow off the King. I skied Braindamage (sweet, first and last time this year) and the others skied Hourglass with no avy events. Just small rollers on corn snow.

Got home to watch Classic Wide World of Sports tribute to Jim McKay-The showed 1971 Hot Dog Skiing and aerials from Park City. They showed how the skiers training for these events at Crystal Mountian-Ferguson Ski camp. Building jumps in Green Valley in the Summer and working on jumping skills.
It was really cool!
Nice day and trip thanks for the company boys!
I was there today too.  Skied one of the chutes off of Threeway, then skied the hourglass off the King.  The snow was really good higher up. 

The south backcountry area still has incredible coverage.

JPH,
Were you the bootpacker with the dog?
If so you booted a long way!

That was me and my dog.  She loves going skiing, but she pretty much hasn't moved since we got home...

I might have seen you guys skinning up when I was going up the south side of the king.  Not many people there today.

Hey Joedabaker, Brain Damage is looking mighty skinny 3/4 of the way down.  Side slip or straight line?  Either way, nicely done!

author=Merk link=topic=10260.msg41326#msg41326 date=1212893756]
Hey Joedabaker, Brain Damage is looking mighty skinny 3/4 of the way down.  Side slip or straight line?  Either way, nicely done!

Actually the choke was approx 160cm wide. Thought of pointing it, but uncertain of rocks underlain on the other side, so stepped down on it bending the skis, tips and tails on the rocks for 3 feet, then continued turning on my merry way.

The picture that DPH submitted shows a good shot of what I call the hourglass lookers right of Pinball. I considered skiing that, but looking down from the Summit, I was uncertain if it went-looks like it's still good to go...for now. Although I committed to Braindamage at the time uncertain if it went through, even knowing I read reports it was done for the season. Guess it still works..for now.

Compared to what I saw off of Pickhandle today (bare SE Slopes) I am surprised that the SE slopes of the King (Silver Basin in general) is still holding ample snow. The King is about 500 feet higher too.
The hike out of the base area is going to be higher the snow is melting fast, may be 1/3 way up 4 by next week?

Joe:  We saw you fellas ski down the King yesterday from the Campbell Basin Lodge.  Nice turns.
Betsy and I skied down Rolling Knolls and Tinker Bell.  Today went to Mt Top and skied Green Valley & Right Berg and then Tinker Bell and it had melted out since this morning.  We had the Red Chrysler parked next to you.

Reply to this TR

jbas-silver-king-6-7-08
Joedabaker
2008-06-07 18:00:51