Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2008, - Pan Face, etc...

June 7, 2008, - Pan Face, etc...

6/7/08
Posted by Marcus on 6/7/08 10:22am
As Robie indicated, a true slush fest, especially from about Pan Face down.  Quite the contrast to my sun-soaked Ruth Mountain birthday tour last year.  Socked in white out the whole time, we turned around at about 7500 feet and enjoyed 18" of the heaviest toothpaste I've skied in a while.  3+ foot diameter cinnamon rolls and just-shy of water skiing down toward the parking lot.  All of the new was sliding very easily on the old snow on steep aspects and rollovers, especially where wind loaded.

A great day nonetheless, with no twisted knees in the phenomenally goopy June powder :)  Thanks for the bday tour y'all.
Happy Birthday Marcus,
Hmm.. Cinnamon rolls...

how's the big "28" marcus?  Hope all is well for you!

Heh -- 28's been great for a while now :)

The clouds ended at about 9k, at which point the wind started. I got about 1,000-1,500 feet of visibility from Anvil Rock down, which was on really fun, dense pow. Below that, I actually thought the snow was good (except below Pan Point), but it doesn't matter when you can't see anything. Classic whiteout below about 8k.

Should have gone today ... nice blue sky with cumulus clouds, very firm crust skinning up, very nice snow above Pan Pt.,  clouds were threatening to move in and it was HOT so we started down from McClure.  Real nice snow, as we rounded Pan Pt. via intersection with the summer trail the snow got sticky; at the base of Pan Face the crust was breakable with a deep tele turn, skiing out was just simply parallel in sticky snow finally ending in mush.  But it was nice to be in the sun for the 1st time in a long while.

Reply to this TR

june-7-2008-pan-face-etc
Marcus
2008-06-07 17:22:58