telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
07/18/19, 04:58 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 5, 2008 Mt. Hood- White River- Margarita Bowl
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 5, 2008 Mt. Hood- White River- Margarita Bowl  (Read 3419 times)
Dale Crockatt
5Member

June 5, 2008 Mt. Hood- White River- Margarita Bowl
« on: 06/07/08, 11:44 AM »

Corn Flakes and Grits

I woke early after a restless night, anxious and excited for another day on the mountain.  The last forecast was disappointing, calling for precipitation by mid-day.  Yesterday, blue skies above clouds promised good conditions, but by evening the forecast was ominous with record cold and snow in the forecast.

Arriving at Timberline Lodge, I was greeted by a dismayed Timberline employee with a skunk trapped in an upside down garbage can in the entry.  I helped him by placing another one on top of the can so we could get out of there!   My first close encounter with a skunk!  Luckily I only got the odor but I smelled for hours!

The weather was starting to smell of disappointment also, so I drove around to Mt. Hood Meadows for some treeline skiing thanks to the cool conditions.  I hiked to the treeline on the east side of White River Canyon.  In the last month I had skied many lines in White Riverbut had missed one I hadnít skied in many years, Margarita Bowl- named for a memorable afternoon there.  It starts off gentle off the ridge, with a curving and dropping fall line through the middle where it narrows into the bottom of the canyon.  The southwest aspect usually assures good corn and minimal new snow accumulation in spring.  This is the best exit route out of the canyon (about 30 minutes hike) if you ski from above.

By the time I got to ski, the overcast had dropped below 8,000í and it was starting to snow.  The corn snow was an inch deep, with a dusting of sand and new snow.  My tracks painted white snakes down the dark hillside.  Halfway down, the steep section had melted out and the narrows below appeared to be melted out in areas, so I decided to hike back up and repeat the top section.  After my second run, it started to rain, so I called it a day. 

* Tree_remains_White_River_Canyon_Mt_Hood.jpg (96.42 KB, 720x540 - viewed 554 times.)

* Upper_Margarita_Bowl.jpg (95.58 KB, 720x540 - viewed 563 times.)

* Middle_Margarita_Bowl.jpg (84.54 KB, 720x540 - viewed 564 times.)

Happy trails!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
danhelmstadter

Re: June 5, 2008 Mt. Hood- White River- Margarita Bowl
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/08, 01:03 PM »

beautiful!

seems like there might be some kind of skunk problem on Hood, I remmember reading about this bizarre incident last June - http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=7360.0
David_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: 06/07/08, 01:37 PM »

Wow - those look like some pretty wacked conditions.  Seems like it would be alot of knee jerking & dropping-the-clutch type of skiing.  Way to maintain the S.
Dale Crockatt
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 06/07/08, 01:55 PM »

Regarding the skunk report at Crater Rock- There must have been a north wind blowing the fumaroles down the mountain...  The skunk probably thought there was a mate up there!  I admit, it wasn't Reid Headwall, but not all of us can be Dan!† It was sweet, buttery, summer corn, and a great, natural, ski and attitude tune up!†
« Last Edit: 06/08/08, 08:39 AM by Dale Crockatt » Logged

Happy trails!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.