Home > Trip Reports > November 16, 2003, Mnt. Baker Ski Area

November 16, 2003, Mnt. Baker Ski Area

11/16/03
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by kam on 11/17/03 3:17am
skip and chris carefully watched the temperature and precipitation trends, and after factoring in last week's forecast, recommended a ski tour near the mnt. baker ski area.  it seemed like a wonderful idea, especially considering it had been over three weeks since our last ski.  to avoid the early morning drive on sunday, we decided to leave on saturday evening and car-camp somewhere along route 542.  after dinner in bellingham at one of chris's recommended favorite college-day hangouts (we know this because "chris c. 1998" is written on one of the bathroom stalls), we settled in for the night parked in front of the Hannegan pass campground gate (2300 ft.).  we slept beautifully throughout the rainy night, me in the back of my truck, and skip and chris in chris's two-person, non-freestanding REI waterbed.

after a late breakfast on sunday morning, we drove to the upper lot of mnt. baker ski resort.  the winds were strong from the S, S/W, with heavy snow.  originally, we planned to poke around table mountain, but with the significant snow fall (about 12 inches of new when we arrived), we opted for tree covered and low-angle terrain on the resort side.  the temperature was pretty cold earlier in the morning, and as a result, the 12 inches of new snow felt light at first.  however, as the day progressed, the water density in the snow slowly increased.  on steeper terrain, it was obvious that the new layer didn't have a chance to bond and it was easy to get it move, but nothing serious.

we managed to soak up around 1200 vf. and as for the skiing, we all agreed it was the best day of WALLOWING we had experienced!  in the photos below, skip demonstrates his "backseat" technique to achieve flotation, and is stopped dead in his tracks trying to make a turn.

if this storm keeps up, baker resort should be fun on opening day next weekend!
-kam

kam,

That backseat-driving image of Chris would be even funnier if it wasn't me.  Now you know why I'm so smooth with the ladies.

Alas, we again find all too evident the plight of the tragic hero that is me.

"chris c. 1998" is envious of Skip's great skiing form, your lady friend should be impressed  ;D
(Kam- Thanks for not posting the photo of my face-plant).  Sure was some of the best WALLOWING I've experienced; that great slow-motion feeling of "bulldozing" down the fall line at 3 mph!!!

Gonna be a great winter boys, let's get together soon ! Good reporting as always.     Jerry

Skip:  i guess you're right. the photo of the back-seat driver is you--the barely-visible shovel handle gave it away.  man, you are smooth...

Reply to this TR

november-16-2003-mnt-baker-ski-area
kam
2003-11-17 11:17:51