Home > Trip Reports > 6/4, Mt. Hood - Reid Headwall (central couloir variation)

6/4, Mt. Hood - Reid Headwall (central couloir variation)

6/4/08
OR Mt Hood
Posted by danhelmstadter on 6/5/08 2:39am
It was about 10 am yesterday, I was sipping coffee at a library computer in Hood River, and I became aware of the reality of the weather situation. Being misled by almost all forecasts, I checked out the forecast discussion from NWS, a low exiting east over northern Nevada was the source of clouds and showers yesterday, while a strong frontal system was predicted to hit today. Leaving a window for yesterday afternoon.

Inspired by Amar's late day assult of the Inter Glacier the other day, I quickly drove to Timberline, It was snowing and cloudy when I got there about 1230, and left shortly after. I broke out of the cloud deck at around 7.5k, just below the top of Palmer. From there I skinned up to the west of Crater Rock, and up onto the west rim of the crater, to where I knew the central couloir entrance was on the other side. I scoped the couloir, found about 1 to 2 feet of new snow, with a slight suncrust (1/4"). It was just starting to catch direct sunlight, so I waited ~1 hour, for the crust to soften a little, scouting the upper constriction for ice while I waited (all soft deep new snow).

The skiing was superb, the upper part of the couloir narrowed into a constriction, (deep new snow with a slight crust) then it opened up to a wide face like feature, then narrowed into a narrow couloir, then opened back up for the lower part. Snow became heavy powder in the middle of route, then slightly wet towards the bottom. There were NO RUNNELS! I was able to spot the bergshrund with little difficulties. The skiing down to Palmer from I. rock was fabulous, but then I was immersed in thick cloud cover all the way down to timberline. I was fortunate the cloud deck stayed at 7.5k. I sough no one else up there, or any sign of anyone the entire day.
I took this picture ascending the Reid glacier LAST WEEK, 5-30-08, all the runnells yesterday 6-4-08 were filled in.

1 - Leutholds Couloir skiied 4/3/08 and 4/13/08
2 - Central Couloir variation skiied 6/4/08
3 - Climbers Right variation skiied 4/3/08

Dan, you make me want to quite my job.

2nd that!  Nice Work!

author=Jason_H. link=topic=10243.msg41222#msg41222 date=1212688289]

I'll third that...looks like some of us better start putting in our two weeks...;)

I know people have wanted to hit me with this in the past.  I'm feeling it now.

GET A HAIRCUT AND GET A REAL JOB, DAN.

Damn I'm jealous.

(Good job, dude.)

Another good one Dan.  Way to go...  Thanks for the potential trench/runnel update.  I've seen Leutholds with a pretty deep trench in it which would suck for skiing...Had that once on Early Morning Couloir N. Sister Oregon...hate to fall and get jammed in that thing....wouldn't be pretty.

author=danhelmstadter link=topic=10243.msg41220#msg41220 date=1212687597">Inspired by Amar's late day assult of the Inter Glacier the other day, I quickly drove to Timberline, It was snowing and cloudy when I got there about 1230, and left shortly after. I broke out of the cloud deck at around 7.5k, just below the top of Palmer.

Dan, nice job working around the frustrating weather forecasts and getting another big line on Hood!

I only wish that I had gotten inspired enough by my Inter Glacier trip to get out again yesterday afternoon.  >:( :'(  Based on the post by Boot it looked like the cloud deck was at about 7.5K on Rainier too, with only brilliant sunshine above . . .

No jealousy here Dan. Glad you had such good snow.

Dan, I am more envious that you caught a break in the weather.
Just kidding, kinda....
Great lines to be had on that mountain!
Thanks for sharing.

Awesome lines Dan!  I can't tell you how many times I wondered about those.  That's the difference between you and I- you just do it!!  Here is a photo from one of those contemplative moments.  I believe it is on top of your number 3 line.

Reply to this TR

6-4-mt-hood-reid-headwall-central-couloir-variation
danhelmstadter
2008-06-05 09:39:57