Home > Trip Reports > 2 for 1 combo Adams SW chutes and Hoods Old chute

2 for 1 combo Adams SW chutes and Hoods Old chute

6/15/08
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Kyle Miller on 6/3/08 10:44am
Started Saturday night 6 miles down from the trailhead of Adams and skinned up to 6'500 feet where we made basecamp for the night.
The Next morning we started skinning around 5:15 and made it to Summit proper alittle before noon. We gave the snow aliitle bit of time to soften and started heading down the slopes around 1pm. Summit face was nasty Ice but when we got into the SW chutes it was perfect corn from top to bottom. We rode all the way down to the Morrision Creek campgrounds then back on the road to the car alittle after 4 pm.

The next morning we started skinning the Palmer Glacier around 8:45 after taking advantage of the all you can eat breakfast. We skinned up to about 9'500 feet then bootpacked the rest of the way. Not having crampons I took my time heading up the old chute but we were on the summit before 1pm. The top 400 feet was bullet proof survival turns but below it was perfect corn all the way to the Car.

Heres a link for a more descriptive TR
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1873371&posted=1#post1873371
Are you guys on steroids or something!
Very impresssive, just one of those trips is a big endeavor, back to back, that's "gettin it done".

Nice work, way to get after it! I am now seriously contemplating buying a plane ticket.

Good call on the weather.  Your energy reserves are vast.  I enjoy reading your adventures.

Grandpa Zap

Wow.

Good navigation skills, too, zeroing in on Morrison Crk CG from the Chutes with all trails snow covered.

my hip feels creaky thinking about it..... :)

cw

Dude, I don't know if I made it clear to you on the phone that I'm a bit jealous!?  ;)

Very nice efforts guys. What no digging out any outhouses?
Thanks for sharing the report.

It was already dug out ourelse we would have.  ;)

You guys are hardmen.
"gettin' it done" ...to say the least.

a good trip indeed, I dont think I coulda done it without the 2000 calorie breakfast on monday morning!  At least I will have a ton of turns to reminisce over while Im in lockdown for the rest of this month.  See ya when I get out Kyle, looks like the cool weather this month will make for some good skiing up on Rainier when I get out.

Reply to this TR

2-for-1-combo-adams-sw-chutes-and-hoods-old-chute
Kyle Miller
2008-06-03 17:44:52