Home > Trip Reports > November 16, 2003, Mazama Ridge, Mt. Rainier

November 16, 2003, Mazama Ridge, Mt. Rainier

11/16/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charles on 11/16/03 9:13pm
Eight of us gathered at the Tall Timbers in Eatonville for a hearty breakfast in preparation for what we expected to be a vigorous weather day in "paradise". At the entrance to MRNP, we were greeted with the news that, "there is not enough snow to ski around Paradise, you should go to the Muir snowfield if you want to ski". Hmmm... our choices seemed to be: (1) go up to the Muir and most likely get lost, frozen, and/or blown away, (2) turn around and go back home, or (3) go ahead and ski around Paradise, forever living with the guilt of damaging the vegetation. We chose the latter.

The Longmire gate opened at 9, and the drive up gave us a preview of what was to come: snow falling and on the road below the Nisqually bridge, and three cars spun out just above Ricksecker Point (two in the ditch). We were joined in the parking lot by 7 more skiers from the Tacoma Mountaineers who had abandoned their planned Grand Park XC trip due to likely access problems. As we started down the Paradise Valley loop road, there seemed to be about 8" of new above a strong crust, with moderate wind and continuing snowfall. We skinned up to Mazama Ridge from the road along the route of the 4th Crossing trail, and the coverage looked like it would be good enough to let us ski back down to the road. Up on Mazama Ridge, we headed to the Back Bowl; the wind was strong and visibility not great, but the coverage was good enough so we did a run. Great snow! Temperature about 25 F, about 12" of loose on top of the crust, no real rock problems. Back up to the top for another run, this one easier because we now had the tracks to provide some visual guidance. Back to the top again for another run, and now the wind was really blowing hard, quickly filling in tracks with new and drifting snow. After the third run, everyone agreed that we'd had enough Back Bowl action, so back to the top for the ski down to the road. Now the wind was really howling, with gusts stripping snow from the trees and reducing visibility to zero. The ski down the west side of Mazama was quite good, with the little gullies holding enough snow to be very skiable, and reasonable paths through the vegetation below that to the road.

Rounding the corner of the loop road only a couple hundred yards from the parking lot we encountered the most intense winds of the day, blasts so strong that we just had to stop and fight being blown over. It looked like there had probably been 4-6" of new snow during the day. All in all, a great day of skiing in new snow, and a vigorous reintroduction to winter.

It was a difficult day for photography, but there will be some photos from this trip on TAY homepage next Monday (11/24). In the meantime, here's a shot from the Back Bowl, with UFOs:
Nice report, was wondering what the snow was like out there. Hard to see with my beady eyes, here at near sea level, hip cobbled together with baling wire and tape, trying to think of escape to wide open places snow and wind stinging the face, left to  peering out from behind the cutains wife and family draging me back nooooooooo.... noooooooooooo... i want to go skiiiiiiiinnnngg  helppppppppppppaagh. ;)

Ps Markoff you survived a season down after you snapped yur tib/fib how'd you do do??

strider

Very nice.  It looks like you posed you're subjects.
I can just imagine you hollering into the wind, "A little more to the left!!!"
My hands were frozen from photography as well.
We were surprised by the snow we found.  And the snow that fell.  Nice deep fluff up high in Eastern Cascades. Two feet deep in places around 6500'.
5" of fresh fluff at a 2800' trailhead after a 6.5hr hike.

I did the same trip today :) but I didn't see any of your tracks, so i'm not sure you're telling the truth ;), but the wind was still there as well as continuous snow and good skiing  ??? so I hope it holds for tomorrow as Regine came out tonight ... abc

A very good trip indeed, surprising amount of cover. Great bunch of folks.  
My photos, such as they are can be found @

Nice report, Charles.
Strider - here's to a rapid mend of that hip.
Nice pics Jerry.  It was definately not good weather for photos.
Great day gang, thanks.
What pics I could get are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paradise111603.msnw

Nice helmet, Mad Dog.

That was a tough bunch of skiers up there. I din't hit any trees ! And never scratched a rock either. Andy can you comment on the effects of all that wind? Leaving and skiing down mazama it was a little slabby from being side loaded.

Thanks Mark, kinda fun to have a new, freshly painted helmet.  8)  

What a great day it was, the fresh skiable snow just kept coming in all day long, filling in our tracks faster than we could keep up.   ;D  If this is any indication of what the winter skiing will be like, it's gonna be a VERY good season.

That is indeed a nice helmet Mad Dog. If you used paint, are you concerned about the paint weakening the helmet?

My girlfriend's previous boyfriend painted her helmet. I'm trying to convince her to retire it for "safety" issues. You can see it here:
http://64.42.93.168/photos/rebeccaPublic/IMG_0056.jpg

I even contacted Black Diamond and they recommended she retire it.

Gaper Jeffey

Thanks for the concern Gaper_Jeffey, but I did have it painted by a professional painter that is familiar with all the paint and plastic issues, and has done several custom helmet paint jobs.  No clear coat was added for safety issues.  8)

Great, that's good to hear Mad Dog! I've been thinking about painting Gaper on my helmet but I think just wearing the child's mouse helmet cover I have is sufficient (which is complete with eyes, ears, nose and a long tail)

I've been thinking about painting Gaper on my helmet but I think just wearing the child's mouse helmet cover I have is sufficient (which is complete with eyes, ears, nose and a long tail)

;D  ;D Now that's funny.  At least now we will be able to recognize each other if we are ever on the same mountain!

Charles: great report and nice photo.  glad to hear that the coverage is improving around Paradise.

Mad Dog: niiiice helmet!  my bird dog jelly-belly would be proud!

Ron and JW: nice photos!  thanks for sharing.

Reply to this TR

november-16-2003-mazama-ridge-mt-rainier
Charles
2003-11-17 05:13:42