Home > Trip Reports > Jun 1, 2008, Silver Basin, Silver King, Crystal Mtn

Jun 1, 2008, Silver Basin, Silver King, Crystal Mtn

6/1/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by artfreeman on 6/1/08 11:04pm
I've found that often if one stares at the various weather pages long enough, wishing it was better than it really is, eventually one comes up with cunning plan to avoid the clouds and rain.  A plan available only to those with the most well developed skills of analysis and perception.  Or, more likely, it is just the computer screen-dumbed mind playing tricks.

Having decided that there was a nice clear area in the shadow of Rainier (MM5 model) Jim Jarosz and I headed for good old Silver Basin.  It did not rain, but was socked in with thick clouds all day.  We skinned all the way up from the Lodge, although it is getting pretty thin near the bottom.  Still given the deep snow up in the basin, I have to think there will be good skiing for some time.  Took one run into Silver on soft, but easy to ski snow, then back up and to top of the King.  The chutes skiers left looking N off the top were not connected, and you might be able to ski Brain Damage, but that too may be disconnected, so I did not want to chance it, plus the snow finger is pretty narrow now.  So, we had a very pleasant run down Hour Glass off the N side and back into the ski area.

By the bottom of Forest Queen we started to notice significant slowing, which was due to nasty POLLEN which we removed at the car with citrus wax remover.  Not the best conditions, but we had fun and were glad we went.

Below is a photo of my anti-pollen kit.  Broken hacksaw blade to scrap off most of it (use smooth edge!).  tiny jar of wax remover, or your solvent of choice to clean the base with rag.
author=artfreeman link=topic=10221.msg41106#msg41106 date=1212415459]
I've found that often if one stares at the various weather pages long enough, wishing it was better than it really is, eventually one comes up with cunning plan to avoid the clouds and rain.  A plan available only to those with the most well developed skills of analysis and perception.  Or, more likely, it is just the computer screen-dumbed mind playing tricks.

Art,  I'm having one of those experiences.   :'(

Yeah I noticed some pollen issues on Saturday while up near 3Way. Me no likey, nasty pollen it is!

We had nasty pollen last year coming off Coleman Glacier on Baker about this time of year.  I'd make sure you wipe all the Iodine off the bottom of your skis...it's REALLY bad for the environment.

Hey - I think we ran into you on the ridge(?).  We skied from Silver Fir into the basin, lunched on the ridge, and then skied down the west side to Annette Lake, crossed the stream on a snow bridge just below the lake, and then on snow all the way to the John Wayne Trail.  That west valley was ripped by a number of big avies the past week or so - so tree-snappers. 

We then hiked from the JWT back to our second car.  A good ski and really only got spit on a little bit.

Reply to this TR

jun-1-2008-silver-basin-silver-king-crystal-mtn
artfreeman
2008-06-02 06:04:19