Home > Trip Reports > June 1, 2008- Cayuse to Chinook tour- Naches Peak

June 1, 2008- Cayuse to Chinook tour- Naches Peak

6/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skierlyles on 6/1/08 12:27pm
Ron, Jeaneatte, Bonnie and I headed up after breakfast to Cayuse pass under cloudy skies and a slight drizzle. The plan was to drop a car a ways down from the usual cauyse pass stop sign and drive the second car up to a more convenient entry.

We began up near the "pop up" tree and skinned up around Yakima peak to gain the ridge on top of a firmly consolidated and slightly suncupped snowpack peppered with needles and debris. The sun teased us with sucker holes that would never materialize into a full view of the mountain's majesty.

We eventually gained the ridge and contoured around Yakima to drop into the basin leading to the saddle above Chinook pass. Once there above Chinook I decided to taste the fruit we had been forbidden to eat all season by the closed road. I picked the skier's left, looker's right line to avoid the runneling down the gut, and skied down near the WSDOT signs warning of Avalanche control. The snow skied great, save a few uneven patches, but felt like corn- albeit not the best. Beggars cannot be choosers. Best turns of the day. I was happy to get those turns in as ron and company left me to fend for myself. Luckily I am a good tracker and found them lazily eating lunch and harassing the wildlife on the PCT bridge across 410.

After lunch we continued over to the base of Naches and the pea soup thickened. We kept close to each other as vis was bad and the drizzle increased. Once we found the notch leading up to the ridge of Naches we made our way up and gaped at the huge cornices still overhanging the main slope. We made the false summit after a long day of touring and enjoyed the turns around the backside of Naches. Thanks to a nifty gadget ron calls  "Garfunkel",  we managed to avoid getting lost in the pea soup and with the help of some waypoints we were at the car in no time :) The final ski was through the lost ski area of Cayuse pass which held some nice turns on the softening snow through widely spaced trees.

Buds were cracked and a good time was had.

Thanks to all for a great tour and good times.

Some pics below-

avy sign

the pea soup opening up

ron asking for handouts (maybe it was the bird)
Chris
Ive seen that hand out before . Gimmee a beer !

No, I've seen this before. It's Ron with his "invisible guitar" routine again ::) ::) ::)

Thanks for the report Chris. Not to worry, we sent the cyclists out on a SAR for you! What a great area and ingenious approach-thanks Ron! But I think his sidekick was Garfunkel, not Magellan.

author=snoseeker link=topic=10219.msg41131#msg41131 date=1212455975]
Thanks for the report Chris. Not to worry, we sent the cyclists out on a SAR for you! What a great area and ingenious approach-thanks Ron! But I think his sidekick was Garfunkel, not Magellan.

changed it- would hate to misname his toy, as it is such an important piece of his arsenal.

good skiing with you all.

chris

I skinned up that route the day before, people driving by including the park rangers slowing down wondering, where the heck is he going? The second I put my skis down it started to rain, but kept going, booted the last steep portion right of Yakima peak. Skied the south face of Yakima and traversed back to the hairpin, skied through the woods and back to the car. Still a good ski (1400 vt) in the rain, at least there was no fog. A little rough in the woods to the car with firm 4" cupped snow and needles, nearly pull a groin catching edges on the frozen snow cups. Good solo short tour, nice views, put the gore-tex to good use.

Ron is a good guy to have around in the fog. Last time we were out there I got misplaced in the fog and sent our team off in the wrong direction. After we got righted, we ran into Ron later with his handy GPS and he lead the way to the rig. What is it with Ron and fog at Chinook Pass?

I think Ron must be a fully "Instrument Rated" backcountry skier, capable of navigating with ease in zero visibility "CAT III", IFR conditions.  Here's some further evidence: 

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=7253.0

Cheers!   :)

What a great metaphor:

Ron J - the IFR backcountry skier!!!!

Here is another example of a headlamp return on an overcast night in a dark forest:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=3746.0

author=Joedabaker link=topic=10219.msg41140#msg41140 date=1212463609">
Ron is a good guy to have around in the fog.

author=Marco link=topic=10219.msg41153#msg41153 date=1212503668">
I think Ron must be a fully "Instrument Rated" backcountry skier

author=blitz link=topic=10219.msg41173#msg41173 date=1212528415">
Ron J - the IFR backcountry skier!!!!

Wow.
Cool.
What a treat.
I turn my back for a day or two and folks are saying positive things about me over likely less than deserving attributes.

I revel with fascination at one’s ability to fly an airplane into the clouds (regardless of the gadgetry involved), fly for a few hours with visibility equivalent to that of being inside a milk bottle and then break out of the clouds directly in line with the runway on an airport (especially one that was a previously aspired objective) hundreds of miles from the departure point.  Now, to me that is pure artistry.

But to do it on the ground, with electronic navigation aids?  Naw -- Little skill involved there… To me that amounts to nothing more that a selfish, self centered preference for avoiding: the terrors of being lost, the major discomfort of an unplanned bivy, or worse. 
Now Chris Cass, OTOH, can do it without the electronic gadgetry.  That's skill.  The guy's got a gps hardwired in his brain.
But thanks, all, for the kind words, nonetheless.  Praise is always appreciated even when undeserved ;)

author=Robie link=topic=10219.msg41099#msg41099 date=1212379151">
Ive seen that hand out before . Gimmee a beer !

Robie - I thought I told you I never touch that stuff  ::)

author=Scotsman link=topic=10219.msg41102#msg41102 date=1212384997">
No, I've seen this before. It's Ron with his "invisible guitar" routine again ::) ::) ::)

No, Scotty, I told you before, it's an "AIR GUITAR" and the damn thing really works!!

Nice TR, Chris.  Well done.
Most of my pics taken in the fog were not worth looking at but I did manage to get a few of the better ones posted HERE to at least convey the flavor of the trip... to a point  ::)

I’m sure some of you have heard about my unfortunate accident on this trip and I thank Chris for not posting anything until I found out the severity of my injury.  Fortunately we were only 1/3 of a mile from the car when I fell and twisted my leg in a 180 direction of normal.  After visiting the orthopedic surgeon yesterday the x-rays determined that I have a broken fibula.  I’m now in a hard cast from my toes to my knee and will probably be for a period of 4 weeks.  If I can find some humor and good news in this, it happened on June 1st, so I have until July 31st to keep my streak alive  ;).  A BIG thanks to Ron, Bonnie, and Chris for being there, carrying the extra load, and helping walk me out. 

Mad_Dog (the one and only)-

Sorry to hear about your injury!  It sounds like you've got a positive view on it, so here's to your continuing streak!! :)

Mad_Dog - Very sorry to hear of your injury, and best wishes for a very speedy recovery and return to your ski streak!      

Like you, I injured myself early enough in the month to have seven weeks of recovery before hitting the slopes to keep my streak alive.  My shoulder still has a way to go before its healed, so perhaps when you're ready to tour again I can help to keep the skin track pace down...

Get well soon!
Marco

Jeanette,

Jill and I hope for your speedy recovery.  Back in June 1996, Jill ruptured her ACL at Chinook Pass while skiing.  If this weather pattern continues, the snowpack may actually increase versus decrease by the time you are back on skis.

Zap & Jill

Hi Jeanette,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you recover quickly and that you're back on skis soon. With 8 weeks to go until July 31, I think your streak will survive this challenge, too.

Amar

Sorry to hear of your injury Jeanette. Heal quickly, we need you!

Jeanette, bummer about the fibula. It will heal though. I shattered one in a motorcylce accident 23 years ago and still have a plate with bolts in there. At first it's freaky to crank down the boots, but it will work out. You're a tough chick as we all know.

Jen and I are returning to Seattle on June 9 for good, and I've acquired a rather large and un-ski-worthy bratwurst belly here in Deutschland. Maybe we can rehabilitate together on some mellow tours this summer?

....so you wont be dancing down at the Cheetah this month?  We will miss you ;)

Let us know if the cast stays on longer than expected and I am sure a couple of us will be happy to drag you up on a hill and duct tape a ski to you.  Sure it sounds crude and even a little ill advised, but we must keep the dream alive!

Happy trail to recovery Jeanette.

Jeanette - so sorry to hear about the injury.  Good thing you're tough & will be back in no time.  I have no doubt you'll be back by 7/31!  ;)

Bummer, Jeannette! Heal quick! I broke my fib last year in the first week of December and skied (don't tell my surgeon) the last week of January, so it's possible.

Ron J- thanks for the kind props (though admittedly the electronic gadgetry is kind of nice to have in complex terrain/white-out conditions to cross-check the mental GPS, and I probably tend to rely too much on "barometric gadgetry" (altimeter)  ;)  I recall your GPS was quite useful in finding our way through the trees near Naches Pk last year.

Jeanette-  Hope your recovery goes quickly!

JibberD- Welcome back!

Best Wishes Jeanette.  I've been there , done that.  It won't be long.

Best Wishes and glad to hear you were close to the car.
Injuring yourself deep in the BC is a fear I imagine we all have.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Jeanette  >:(
That snow down by the road was a little nasty, must have been a rough exit after the accident.
I think you will make it back in time to keep the streak alive!

Can I sign your cast?  8) Hope you don't go crazy there on the couch....you'll be back before you know it!

Hey ,You are tough and young ! And then there is tandem skiing !
Most important is your recovery cause there's one hell of a lot skiing left in ya !

Best wishes to a quick recovery Jeanette!!!!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement ;D I really appreciate it.  You've made my bushel of lemons into some pretty nice lemonade today.  I've got myself some crutches and a really cute leg scooter with hand brakes, a basket, and cup holder of all things.  I think the cup holder would actually hold a bottle of wine if necessary  :D.  All it needs to jazz it up is a horn and some handle bar streamers  ;).

That's Great!!
Now all ya need is for Art to rig ya up one of those hand throttles on your Tahoe like the have for the handicapped and you'll make short work of that cabin fever  ;D

Mad_Dog.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You'll make the streak, have no fear!
Cheers,

man that's a drag. Brenda broke her fibula back in the summer of 2000 while we were hiking out from Norse Peak. Her's required a small plate and screws, which are still in place. Were you able to ski out? That had to have hurt like hell.  I had to carry Brenda piggy back the 2 miles or so down to the car. Anyway, get well soon. We're hoping to ski with you soon.

That's a real bummer Jeanette.

Good thing you got your June turns in on the first of the month! You now have eight weeks to get it back together for your July turns - or you'll look pretty funny hiking up Mt Raineer on crutches with skiis on you back ;D.

Wonga -- that sucks Jeanette.  Here's to a speedy recovery!  *clink*

You better get better.  I still ned you and Ron's help to finally find the "stash" and I have the last weekend in July slated for that.

I agree with Snowbell - there would be a lot of volunteers.
"Let us know if the cast stays on longer than expected and I am sure a couple of us will be happy to drag you up on a hill "

Don aka Rusty Knees

Jeaneatte- glad that I was able to keep your secret safe, now all of TAY knows and this thread has been hijacked! You are certainly worth a hijacked thread and we would all chip in and drag you up the hill like we did the keg awhile ago.  Wanna go for a sled ride?!

Heal well and quickly, the snow is going to be around all summer. Slush fest may not even get to happen at this rate, so you just have a summer of corn skiing to look forward to once it comes.

Glad your pc is up and running again, maybe time to switch to a mac :)

Chris

Jeanette,

Injuries suck.  Get well soon.

-Kneel Turner (the skier formerly known as Legdragger)

author=md2020 link=topic=10219.msg41281#msg41281 date=1212780140">
Were you able to ski out?

I wasn't able to ski out. Fortunately I was able to walk down by putting all the weight on my heal and then butt sliding where it was to steep to walk.  Ron would ski to the bottom of the steep part and guard my slide from either sliding into a tree well or a tree.  Bonnie carried my skis out on her pack and Chris carried my pack.
author=Rusty Knees link=topic=10219.msg41290#msg41290 date=1212803070">
I agree with Snowbell - there would be a lot of volunteers.
"Let us know if the cast stays on longer than expected and I am sure a couple of us will be happy to drag you up on a hill "

I've been thinking about this since I seem to have lots of time to think about how to ski instead of where to ski.  So......I've contacted my R&D dept ;) and have a prototype in the works.  Let's call it the Scooter ski "SS427 Turbo model".  It has great features as you will see from the photo below.  Titanium frame, hand brakes, heated leather seat or leg rest, carbon fiber basket and cup  holder ;D.

You can view I few more photos here
Gotta run, there's the phone, it may be the conference call from Kelvin and Kam  ;)  ;) with their idea on a new super scooter ski design.

Flawless design- I see the dynafit bindings are nicely integrated as well. I enjoy your creativity!

Chris

Reply to this TR

june-1-2008-cayuse-to-chinook-tour-naches-peak
skierlyles
2008-06-01 19:27:19