Home > Trip Reports > Hawkins, May 31, 2008

Hawkins, May 31, 2008

5/15/08
Posted by TonyM on 6/1/08 9:18am
Brad, Nick, Scott and I skied Hawkins on Saturday.  I had heard things had melted out considerably in the Teanaway River Road area, so expectations of a nice ski were held in check as we drove further up the Cle Elum road drainage.  We arrived at a very dry and warm trailhead thinking we should have skied closer to Snoqualmie Pass.  But hey, what a backcountry ski be without doubt and self loathing of one's choices?

So we hit the trail (err, ridge without a trail) and found continuous snow at 4600 feet (see photo of ridge), and skinned to about 6800 feet.  There we skinned our skis and booted the final 300 VF to the top due to on and off snow coverage high on the ridge. We enjoyed magnificent views of Glacier Peak, Mount Stuart, Earl Peak and on and on.  We dropped in to the north facing bowl and then hung a right to gain the ascent ridge at 6500 feet.  There we skied the ridge route all the way back to 4600 feet and proceeded to boot back down to the car.  All in all the snow quality was good and we had a nice day under mostly sunny skies. But we reminded ourselves that in late May, we should really pick places where it's possible to skin from the TH.

Couple notes- on the ascent ridge, brush and undergrowth is dense near Cabin Creek.  Rather than follow the creek east for a while before heading up the ridge, consider walking south on the jeep trail about 100-200 yards from the parking area before you head up.  The going up and going down will be much easier due to a more open forest.   On the way back stop by The Brick, Washington's oldest continuing operating bar.  You'll find a great beer selection, and truthful tat's (see pic).
As I mentioned in the other Hawkins post, sorry for thinking it wouldn't be worth the trip.  Your picture of the approach is so typical.  Good advice on the beginning at the bottom.  Nick wouldn't happen to be Nick D would it?  Thought I might see him today on Fortune, perhaps with Brent on a visit!  Thanks for the post.  By next weekend though, I think it may all be gone, and my little 3 week "stay close to home" vacation is coming to an end!
John

Nick wouldn't happen to be Nick D would it?  Thought I might see him today on Fortune, perhaps with Brent on a visit! 
John

I am recovering from December hip accident/surgery John. Living vicariously through your reports. Did my first bike ride yesterday so I hope to ski in July. Sort of a bookend season. Sunrise opening day is a target. Sounds like the standard Hawkins thing where by the time you can drive close to TH, one has to hoof to about 4600'. I think the ridge south of Camp Creek is the best route but some of our well seasoned friends prefer the rough trail just north of the creek.
Brent H made a few forays into BC huts this year. Not sure we will see him out in this neck of the woods as he lives now in CT. Certainly miss him.

Hey John-  That would be Nick C, and no problem on the advice.  Trust me, we had second thoughts at the bottom!  This tour might go for a few more days, but with all the other tours available to ski, I'd recommend considering one (or more) with a snow start.  Thx!

author=NickD link=topic=10215.msg41092#msg41092 date=1212372258]
  Nick wouldn't happen to be Nick D would it?  Thought I might see him today on Fortune, perhaps with Brent on a visit! 
John

I am recovering from December hip accident/surgery John. Living vicariously through your reports. Did my first bike ride yesterday so I hope to ski in July. Sort of a bookend season. Sunrise opening day is a target. Sounds like the standard Hawkins thing where by the time you can drive close to TH, one has to hoof to about 4600'. I think the ridge south of Camp Creek is the best route but some of our well seasoned friends prefer the rough trail just north of the creek.
Brent H made a few forays into BC huts this year. Not sure we will see him out in this neck of the woods as he lives now in CT. Certainly miss him.

Hello Nick, long time,
I am very glad to hear you are on the mend.  For you missing a winter must have been more a mental challenge than the physical.  I am sure you'll be out adding one extra skin up and ski run down on me in no time (I'll still lay blame on that one by having to bend my knee on the descents!).  Tell Brent I said hello if you are in contact.  Still remember the early internet days with his posts on the old Mountaineers Backcountry website.  Good to hear from you.
Be Well,
John

Here's a photo of Brad dropping in on the east side.

Reply to this TR

hawkins-may-31-2008
TonyM
2008-06-01 16:18:49