Home > Trip Reports > May 31, 2008, - Chair Peak Circumnav

May 31, 2008, - Chair Peak Circumnav

5/31/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Dave_R on 6/1/08 3:29am
Debbie & I have had our eye on this tour for a while, though the forces of chaos have conspired to keep us away until now.  Conditions sounded good from the previous weekend and the weather was in alignment, so we we set off, conveniently omitting any mention of the tour length to our son Brett who has been growing too much and looking for any excuse to lay around lately.  Best to keep 'em moving.

We crossed paths with Jim Oker and gang at the Alpy parking lot.  They had the same objectives  - the "Folklife Tour" - and were looking to drop into the Denny drainage from the Bryant/Chair col - we were planning on Pineapple Pass.  We were to have several long distance views of their backsides off and on throughout the day.

Quick work to Pineapple Pass and the only real complaints all day from Brett as his skins couldn't quite stick enough to the established track.  I pointed out a few fresh ski crampon marks in the track, but I'm not sure it helped.  It was early, the stomach was empty, the track was steep, and the sun was out.  Fortunately he worked through it and had a blast for the rest of the tour.  A handful of climbers on the Tooth & an older Norwegian gentleman on skinny skis enjoying the sunny day (floppy little bootlets too!).  Good corn on the west of Pineapple, at most only plowing around the top 4".  However, the sun soon retreated behind clouds, leaving us to wonder about the forecasted showers and t-storms.  From there it was fun in the trees as we tried to stay high enough to not have to climb back up the Denny drainage.  I'm sure if anyone followed, they'd wonder what the heck we were thinking...

Long tour up and over Melakwa, down to Chair Peak Lake and the beginnings of a bit of rain which added flavor to a moments concern heading down the outlet.  I'm not sure how much longer the gulley down from Chair Pk Lake will be a viable option as it seems to be going fast and there are some great gaping holes down to the creek below.  Were we to do it today, I'd probably look higher towards skiers left and the slopes of Roosevelt for a nicer work around the cliff band/gulley.

Easy gliding on the highway of tracks back across Snow Lake.  Brett enjoyed the live entertainment provided by the crashing snow boulders cascading down from the flanks of Chair peak onto the lake edge.  Finally, quick work of the Snow/Source pass as the sun returned for the late afternoon.  All-in-all a very pleasant tour.

-Dave R
Nice to meet you. Some of us enjoyed extra turns on the way up toward Melakwa Pass. The corn was nice - finally getting big grains and no sticky slush or pollen. Your shot of the ski alongside the Chair Peak Lake outlet stream gives a good feel for that stretch. I didn't like the neck of rotten snow, but it was nice to get away with skipping the little climb to the wiser route you describe.

climb to bryant col

climb to melakwa pass

author=Dave_R link=topic=10211.msg41072#msg41072 date=1212344978]I'm not sure how much longer the gulley down from Chair Pk Lake will be a viable option as it seems to be going fast and there are some great gaping holes down to the creek below.  Were we to do it today, I'd probably look higher towards skiers left and the slopes of Roosevelt for a nicer work around the cliff band/gulley.

Good TR.  Fearing that the CP Lake outlet ski was melted out, we did the alternative via a 80' to 100' ascent up (climber's left) from CP Lake to open slopes below Roosevelt.  We felt a few sprinkles at the end of the day as we were skiing down to Source Lake, so I surmise that we may have been a couple hours ahead of you.

We did the Chair Peak outlet as Jim mentioned - what did the slopes above on Mt Roosevelt look like? Is there continious line from near summit?

Tx, Russ

We merely skinned the c. 80 vert feet up to the bump located directly N of CP Lake/W of the outlet, i.e., the low angle area c. 100-200 meters N of and above Chair Peak, and skied down the lower angle stuff from there.  That's the obvious bypass of the outlet.  The slopes we skied were fine, although littered with rocks and grit.  The snow between there and Roosevelt summit rock even dirtier.  Erosion happens.

Reply to this TR

may-31-2008-chair-peak-circumnav
Dave_R
2008-06-01 10:29:38