Home > Trip Reports > May 31, 2008, Mount Townsend

May 31, 2008, Mount Townsend

5/31/08
Posted by scottb505 on 6/1/08 1:35am
Some beta for anyone interested in doing a late season Townsend trip - sorry, no pics - with the weather report I figured I'd be getting some exercise in the fog.  South slope mostly melted out although I did meet up with a skier who linked some turns coming down.  I kept to the trail, making the saddle by around 2pm. I walked the ridge and dropped into the NE bowl for about 500 vertical of great corn on a steep, fast line.  Put in a bootpack and yo-yo'd the run for a couple of hours.  Looking toward the southern face of the bowl I could see lines that might have a 1000 feet or so of vertical.

Anyway, fair amount of work for the skiing but the snow was great and the clouds cleared for outstanding views of the straight and back toward Seattle.  Access to trailhead (via FS 27) is good with one snow patch about a 1/4 mile from the upper parking area that might give you trouble if you don't have high clearance.
Thanks for the beta on the Townsend beat.  I didn't realize it had waned quite so much already.  Where does the time go?

Townsend is always tricky...once the road has melted out so has the snow on the south slope. I believe it doesn't get that much snow in the first place, sitting in the snow shadow of the Olympics. Still IMHO it's a great trip and like Elinor to the south, the views are worth the grunt.

Speaking of Elinor, I heard that two "hikers" were injured on Saturday by falling ice - hope they are OK

I'm sorry to learn about the Injured hikers.
I would be curious to learn more specifics of the incident.

Reply to this TR

may-31-2008-mount-townsend
scottb505
2008-06-01 08:35:45