Home > Trip Reports > May 30, 2008, Olympics-Halibut and Corn

May 30, 2008, Olympics-Halibut and Corn

5/30/08
WA Olympics
Posted by Zap on 5/31/08 3:30pm
Jill and met my fishing buddy and his wife in Sequim on the 29th.  Jill and Louise headed for the "spit" for treasure hunting while Gary and I went halibut fishing in the Straits.  I got "lucky" and caught a 35 pounder.  Gary took the photo of my fish, but he's negotiating whether I'm "worthy" of receiving a copy.  I already gave him half the fillets. ???

Jill and I woke Friday to an overcast sky.  We drove towards Hurricane Ridge into the cloud layer that stretched from 2000' to 4500'.  The fog and drizzle was discouraging, but once through the cloud layer we broke into clear and sunny skies.  The temperatures were in the mid 40's and pleasant.  We skinned and skied the terrain along the NW slopes near the poma lift.  Since the previous weekend, the snowpack has consolidated and there was an inch of ski penetration with a firm base.  Although only 700vf, the condtions were enjoyable even though there were small suncups developing.  Ideal spring conditions.  Road construction during the weekdays is causing brief delays.  The southern exposure slopes are melting quickly, but the north and westerly exposures still have excellent coverage.

Photo 1 - The coverage from the base of the poma lift

Photo 2 - View of coverage towards Obstruction Pt.-clouds/fog in the photo

Photo 3 - Chris filleting my halibut(he works a knife professionally)

Reply to this TR

may-30-2008-olympics-halibut-and-corn
Zap
2008-05-31 22:30:07