Home > Trip Reports > May 30, 2008, Red Mountain 5880+ Cle Elum Valley

May 30, 2008, Red Mountain 5880+ Cle Elum Valley

5/30/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 5/31/08 9:43am
Access and Approach Notes:
Pico and I thought we'd try Skookum Peak having been told that Paris Creek was as far up the Fish Lake Rd. 4330 as one can drive.  When we got to the Paris Creek TH there was no snow to be seen anywhere.
So then we decided to drive toward Boulder Creek and try Hawkins Mountain.  When we got to Boulder Creek and the view of Hawkins we saw it too was looking real thin of snow with lots of hiking.  It is basically done for the year.
We turned around thinking maybe we needed to head to Snoqualmie Pass and as we approached Salmon La Sac said, " let's see what the north basin of Red Mountain looks like when we get a view across the valley."
Low and behold€¦a snowy picturesque basin!
Red Mountain it is:
We drove the Cooper River Rd. 1.6 miles to the Red Mountain Trailhead.  The hike up the Red Mountain Trail was a pleasant trail hike from the TH at 2600 ft. to the base of the first glade in the north basin at 4000 ft.  Mostly trail with a bit of firm snow to walk.  We crossed the logging road at 3800 ft. about one quarter before one can put the skis on.
The Skiing:
Skis went on right at the first glade and never came off until we were enjoying lunch at the summit at 5880 ft.  Skiing was firm corn all the way but it is definitely getting sun-cupped  up to about 4 to 5 inches deep in places.  We salvaged a fun one out of what we were beginning to believe was going to be a hike.  Note on picture 2 that Hawkins, to the left and below Stuart, is looking thin.  One can also see the significance of the sun cups.

John, your report gives me a chance to post a link to some pics I was going to show as part of a TR that never got done from a few weeks ago. Impressive slide paths! Looks like Jon Herman and the rest of the trail crew will have their work cut out for them (so to speak) this season.   :)

Time for me to put the skis in suspended animation until next year. But this was a great season; over 6 months of ski camping and not having to miss a single week. I guess I'll have to get used to sleeping on bumpy uneven ground now, and soon the bugs, and the heat, and to compensate, swims in warm alpine lakes, the huckleberries, not having to carry all the weight in my pack. It seems like this ski season started just a bit ago, and now there is another one, one which will pass quickly too, and soon I will be tuning up my winter gear again.  ---- I hope.

Here's a link to the Red Mtn. pics:

http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/albums/RedMtnslidepaths/index.html

Larry

author=John_Morrow link=topic=10202.msg41041#msg41041 date=1212280993]
Access and Approach Notes:
Pico and I thought we'd try Skookum Peak having been told that Paris Creek was as far up the Fish Lake Rd. 4330 as one can drive.  When we got to the Paris Creek TH there was no snow to be seen anywhere.
So then we decided to drive toward Boulder Creek and try Hawkins Mountain.  When we got to Boulder Creek and the view of Hawkins we saw it too was looking real thin of snow with lots of hiking.  It is basically done for the year.

Interesting - we did just about the same thing yesterday. Aimed for Hawkins, looking a little thin, so headed up the road a bit to try for "Scatter Peak/Fish Eagle Peak". Promptly got stuck in a snowdrift near Paris Creek, so dug out, backtracked to Hawkins and tried it anyway.

Approached via the old Mine Road on Huckleberry to the west of Hawkins, which hit the snow about 1200 K higher. Chris Cass 'the snow nose' Knows, and he found a continuous patch linking the end of the road to the summit! A few rocks and thin sections, but great fun ski, and fantastic view at the top!

- Kevin

Reply to this TR

may-30-2008-red-mountain-5880-cle-elum-valley
John Morrow
2008-05-31 16:43:13