Home > Trip Reports > May 30, 2008, Snoqualmie Pass after-school patrol

May 30, 2008, Snoqualmie Pass after-school patrol

5/30/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 5/31/08 3:08am

Since our last after-school patrol on
Lowell, what kind of set-up for skinning do you have Tom on? I'd like to get some kid-sized skinning set-ups for my guys.

Nicely done.

author=oftpiste link=topic=10198.msg41035#msg41035 date=1212275298]
Lowell, what kind of set-up for skinning do you have Tom on? I'd like to get some kid-sized skinning set-ups for my guys.

I took some old adhesive skins and removed the tip and tail hardware. To put them on a short pair of skis, I center the skin on the ski, smooth it down working outward from the center, then fold the skin over both the tip and tail. I wrap about 12" of duct tape around the spot where the skin is folded over to keep it secure.

Tom is skiing in his regular alpine boots. For bindings, I took my wife's old Silvretta 404s and mounted them on Tom's old alpine skis. Previously I had him using touring adapters (e.g. Secura-Fix or Alpine Trekker) but they are clunky and having a real AT binding is more enjoyable. Any plate binding will do if you can adjust it short enough and get the release setting light enough. I test the release setting by hand.

I was at Marmot in Bellevue yesterday and saw a pair of used skis mounted with Silvretta bindings. They also had several old skis with Fritche bindings. I didn't look at the prices, but there are used bindings out there. You might also be able to find some in the TAY gear forum.

====

Edited to add:

The main reason I waited until this season to set up Tom with real AT bindings is that I wanted to be reasonably sure they would release for him. He's 11 now and getting big enough, I think. When he was smaller I preferred having him ski down in his regular alpine bindings. That's why I started him out with touring adapters.

Ahhhhh, nickel nosing.  Seeing your picture of Tom skiing on a fine spring day brought back fond memories of Gordy & Randy's little brother tagging along many a late spring alpenglow meander up & down the chairs at Alpy or Acres looking for "nickels".  Best find was a diamond wedding ring!!  BTW, Marilyn & I were doing same on a Crystal to Chinook jaunt the same day.  Not much booty but as a consolation it happened to be very good spring skiing.  ;D. 

Good on you Lowell.  Like my sons, Tom will also have cherished memories carrying on this fine family tradition.  There is nothing like hunting for treasure to motivate a kid in an endeavor.

EJ

My 16 yr old Stewie and I went to Crystal today and hiked up and skied Gunbarrel near 3way Peak. On the way down he found $10 in the snow under the quicksilver lift. Pretty faded so they ( 2 x $5 bills) must have been there a while. He bought the lattes at Wapati Woolies.
Always a cool day when you get to ski with the fruit of your loins and find money! ;D
Nice job Lowell with the adaptations.

Lowell,
You and Tom may have to take the torch for the Eckstein afterschool patrols from Dave_R and his Redgoesfaster soon to be highschooler Brett. I look forward to joining in!

Nice tour and viddy!

Jessica & Lowell,
Perhaps we can pass the torch and get in one last dusker before Brett becomes an Eckstein alumni?  We were talking over this exact topic yesterday with him (during our circumnav of Chair peak). We've got a couple of weeks til he's a high-schooler...
-Dave

Reply to this TR

may-30-2008-snoqualmie-pass-after-school-patrol
Lowell_Skoog
2008-05-31 10:08:59