Home > Trip Reports > 5/30, Mt. Hood - Sandy Glacier Headwall

5/30, Mt. Hood - Sandy Glacier Headwall

5/30/08
OR Mt Hood
Posted by danhelmstadter on 5/31/08 2:25am
Started too early (~8am) yesterday, having been tipped off the night before about "lots of new snow" I was worried about possible avi danger. I soon figured out on my skin up from Timberline that, the snow was consolidated corn. The Sandy Glacier Headwall is a NW facing aspect, not receiving direct sun until late afternoon. I realized my timing mistake somewhere above Palmer, and snoozed for several hours in a rocky area below Crater Rock.
Must have been around noon, when I hiked up to the summit ridge. I skied down 500' of powder like snow to the Queens Chair (the shoulder separating Leutholds from Sandy Headwall) and discovered the sun was just starting to kiss the Sandy Headwall. Discouraged but determined I napped for another couple hours. The weather was nice, and soon the headwall softened to corn. The upper third was beautiful smooth moderately steep (45-50dg) corn, about a third of the way down the headwall I encountered a 20' ski width chute, with a lot of wet water ice and a couple very steep sections. I sidestepped down with skis, using my ice axe aggressively in upper hand. There was a 6-8' choke stone at the bottom of the chute which I hopped. From there the angle eased to 40-45dgs and the slopes widened, remaining high riding quality.
I used the last 100' of the 3k headwall for a downward traverse across the Sandy Glacier to Yokum ridge, passing several large cracks, and much avi debris, the massive choss formations of Yokum are incredible, and sketchy as hell.
I became worried when I reached crest of Yokum and found I was lower down on Reid Glacier than I had imagined, and the snow was extremely wet and it was getting late. I set many little wet slides as I traversed the south facing slopes onto the Reid, luckily the snow became more supportable and consolidated as I gained elevation, and was at I rock in less time than I had feared. Then dream corn down the ~3k to my anxious dog waiting in my camper.

more pics... anyone have a good one of the entire route from a plane or lolo pass?

Great job skiing another big line on Hood, Dan. That ski-width chute sounds nasty, though. I've wanted to ski Sandy Headwall for a long time, but maybe not this year in that case.

I have lots of photos of Sandy Headwall from Lolo Pass and McNeil Point taken in previous years, here's some of the better ones:

The NW side of Mount Hood from Lolo Pass Rd on June 28, 2004, showing Sandy Glacier and the Headwall.

Sandy Glacier and the Headwall on September 28, 2004, from about 6900 ft on Cathedral Ridge above McNeil Point. Shrivelled remnants of the Glisan Glacier are in the foreground.

Zoomed view of the summit and crux of Sandy Headwall near sunset on September 28, 2004.

Note that September 2004 was very snowy, so the last two pics definitely don't show typical September conditions. Most years there is no snow at all covering the rocks by late August, and not again until October or November.

Impressive descent Dan!  Looks to be right up your alley.

The above comment is powered by Google ads!  HAHAHA

glad you got it.

Wow!  Way to get after it Dan!  Sounds like things have changed a bit on that route since the time I did it in June '96...though that choke/hourglass section was fairly narrow as I recall.  I too got to the summit way too early and I also had to wait and wait for things to be "right" (which was a little before 2pm).  For me the spooky part I unfortunately experienced, was the trip out onto the Sandy and up  the Reid as my old Montana skins would not stick to my skins...so booting out  throught the slots on the Sandy and Ried was sort of the crux on my trip.

Would love to do it again, but it sounds like I just really had a lucky day and I'm a lot older now that for sure...so its great to get this tr  think back.....  Man way to go...what a great ski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glad you had a good time Dan. Pretty cool.....

Dan, I met you a few hundred feet below the summit as I skied down from the top.  I mentioned I had skied Sandy Headwall.  I couldn't remember the year, but it was 1987.   A friend of mine skied it about 1979.  I have addded a few pics from those trips.  I don't have much time right now but wanted to get these on before your post gets too old.  The conditions when I skied it in 1987 (about 5-6pm) were incredible except for the hourglass where you were suspended on tip and tail, or just the middle of your ski, or the rocks were so narrow yoyur tip and tail touched- you could hear running water below you as you tried to stick on the water ice.  We took the same route out to Illumination Rock during sunset skiing down to Timberline at dusk.   

Congratulations on your descent- it's a great one.  I enjoyed re-living it!  I had hoped to pull off my fifth circumnavigation this season but I am having a tough time getting the weather and my schedule to cooperate!  Maybe another south side ski tomorrow.  Stay tuned for more classic photos...  Happy trails!

Love the old pics and great one dan! I need to get back down to that mountain.

Absolutely great line.  It is without a question the most esthetically beautiful descent on Mount Hood. 

Reply to this TR

5-30-mt-hood-sandy-glacier-headwall
danhelmstadter
2008-05-31 09:25:37