Home > Trip Reports > November 12, 2003, Bearpaw Mtn

November 12, 2003, Bearpaw Mtn

11/12/03
Posted by sb on 11/14/03 2:02am
Finding Skyline Rd destroyed by recent rains went up to Canyon Creek Rd instead,  accompanied by Dave from Lopez Is. who just happened to stop by the Glacier Ski shop when I did.  We parked truck not far from bridge over Canyon Creek and skiied from there.  On a grading basis of excellent, good, fair, poor - snow was 2 grades worse.  Not even "ugly" but maybe "hideous".  Difficult breakable crust all the way with only a few thawed spots to make it easier.  Who knows, somewhere higher up -over 6,000 feet, it might have become good.  Anyway it will change completely today.
Not even "ugly," you say, but maybe "hideous".  Guess I made the right decision by staying home on Wednesday.  But what's this about the Deadhorse Road?  Washed out?  Impassable until next summer?  

Some Bellingham Herald reporter drove out to Glacier to ask about the coming ski season.  You two burly backcountry skiers seem to have come up in a conversation with Drew Adams, but it sounds like you hadn't yet returned bearing tales of heinous crust.  The article ran on Thursday.  

Someone's trying to entice me into skiing tomorrow (Monday).  I'm thinking of capitulating.  Sound worth it?  Bad visibility, two feet of fresh, wet snow, arduous trailbreaking and no opportunities for turns.  Leaving Bellingham late-ish.    

We were at Shuksan today.  And while poor visibility and arduous trailbreaking were the truths of the day, it was well worth it for the few steep pitches that allowed a man to throw down a respectable turn into 2 feet of snow.  As for density, it was heavy below 4000', but decent above.

I say you go for it.  But then I always say that.

Reply to this TR

november-12-2003-bearpaw-mtn
sb
2003-11-14 10:02:00