Home > Trip Reports > May 25-26, Royal Basin, Olys

May 25-26, Royal Basin, Olys

5/15/08
Posted by telemack on 5/28/08 1:40pm
   After some partner-dropouts and discussions Snowbell and I bagged plans for the Brothers and headed up Royal Creek---a better call.  The only other skiers sahred the 6 miles on the trail, then skinning too far left got us some downhill tree-huggin with skis on.  Above Royal Lake the bowls opened up and we made upper Royal Basin.  Found a cool campsite by a big boulder, where the moat opened out a flat, sheltered spot. 
     Evening now, we dumped the packs and skinned most of Hal Foss Peak---good run, managable sluffs, ended the tour at 9 PM and it was fully light.  Good weather and clear skies at bedtime.  Then...
   Cloudy at 1 AM, then rain, then steady rain when I turned off the alarm before the set time of 5:30.  We snoozed 'til it let up, killed our one stove cartridge, and decided not to summit anything due to the wetness.  We ended up climbing into Surprise Basin all the way to the col, and trading Joe's camera until the battery died.  Got some good lines on the basin's sides, and then the SE-facing slope with some trees back to the tent.  It rained off and on almost all day, but the skiing was consistently better than expected---not corn, but only 3" ski penetration.  Good lines abound. 
   Alas, we lost the trail in a different spot and did more masochistic tree-hugging back to the lake.  Once the skis were back on the pack it was a simple hike-in-a-trance affair.  We had many turns with few people, the weather was not as awful as it coulda been, and the ambience was unrivaled.   Any tips on how to keep to the trail near the creek crossing would be sweet.
I'd love to get back, but for 2+ nights.  Hey, fheimer and Sally from Portland---let us know how your turns were!
Hal Foss Peak looked like like a lovely ski when DC, MZ, and I want for Mystery.  Good choice.

It would've been worth the extra 15 min. to summit if I'd known Monday would be yucky.

looks like you a fun outing. that is a beautiful spot. hiked it with rich last summer.
good work!

Glad you two made it back in one piece, sounds intense- tree hugging, hmmm. I think you and joe are skilled tree huggers and probably had no problems with that. I am still working on that, being so new to the PNW.

Way to go get it guys!

Chris

That tour begins and ends with a bit of a walk.  Gives one plenty of time to consider the merits of lite weight gear.  Royal is a beautiful basin with many worthy ski lines.  I could easily spend a week working out of there.  Like Mack said; I'll get back there once I forget the pain.  Photos may or may not be forthcoming (sorry Mack).  My camera and I are not currently seeing eye to eye.

Great meeting you guys out there.  We had a fun day touring around the basin sampling a few of the longer slopes.  There are so many great ski lines.  Everything from chutes to low angle glacier.  We had an awesome time.

We followed your tracks out on the approach.  If my camera hadn't been in the bottom of the pack I would have taken a picture of sally manuevering down the cliff with her ski laden back pack.  It was managable and we eventually found the trail again. 

Cheers
Frank

It sounds like a great trip.  Do you have any idea what elevation you started skinning and stopped walking? 

I think a few of us are headed out there this weekend...

I believe that we hit consistant snow around 4300'.  It was a pretty distinct transition from bare trail to snow.  (maybe about 4 miles in?)  Don't follow our skintrack after the log creek crossing below the lake.  We did not discover a better route here.   ;)

author=fheimer link=topic=10186.msg41001#msg41001 date=1212170269]
We followed your tracks out on the approach. If my camera hadn't been in the bottom of the pack I would have taken a picture of sally manuevering down the cliff with her ski laden back pack. It was managable and we eventually found the trail again.

I was nice meeting you guys too.  I am sorry that our loose navigation led you astray again on the way out.  I was thinking about you guys as we down climbed through the forrest hoping that you had learned better than to follow our tracks.  It's funny that none of us ever saw the proper trail below the lake.  I'll try to get it right next time, I doubt that it is really that hard to find.

See you there this Sunday maybe... we're headed to ski that Needles chute.

- Matt

When we were in there a few weeks ago we had trouble getting from the lake down to the creek too.  About the first half when well then we stayed to far to skiers left.  Ended up hugging trees also!  But fortunately we came out right at the foot log. I really like that area and wanted to get back but have not been able to work that out yet.  Hopefully the snow will  hang in a while longer.

Eric

author=kuharicm link=topic=10186.msg41009#msg41009 date=1212190919]
See you there this Sunday maybe... we're headed to ski that Needles chute.

- Matt

!Ten quidado!  Not so much snow left.

Reply to this TR

may-25-26-royal-basin-olys
telemack
2008-05-28 20:40:23