Home > Trip Reports > May 25, 2008, Mt. Roosevelt

May 25, 2008, Mt. Roosevelt

5/25/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lisa on 5/28/08 5:07am
With less than ideal forecasts we were pleasantly surprised to find clear skies at the Pass. 
After an unsuccessful trip to Big Snow last week, being shut down at Myrtle Lake, I was happy to see the views from the summit of Roosevelt. 
Our day started late due to re-arranging our plans at the last minute, unpacking overnight gear and re-assembling for a short day trip.

Source Lake basin was void of skiers, only faint turns spoke of prior days touring.  With waterfalls cascading down cliff bands, the often occupied basin became serene.
Limpid pools of brilliant blue dotted the sides of Snow Lake.  We began our skin up toward Roosevelt and were stopped in our tracks by the shrieking of a Marmot.  A den was just above us and my inquisitive dog was checking it out.

In short time we made the saddle between Chair Peak Lake and the slope leading up Roosevelt.
We had lunch and noted clouds rising from the valley east of Snow Lake grasping at the clouds above that had begun to linger. 
The slope required a short boot up and onto the skis again for the final traverse to the top.
Obligatory photos were taken and we saw glimpses of the Snoqualmie Haute Route between meandering clouds. 
Not long thereafter, the meandering clouds shrouded Snow Lake and stifled our views. 
We began our descent in hopes to beat the forecasted thunderstorms. 
Corn snow on top turned heavier as we neared the lake.  A lone clap of thunder sounded in the distance as we made our way back to the car ending a great trip in a magical place so close to home.

More photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/victormesny/MountRoosevelt
Lisa - You've got an amazing ability to set up the camera for those self portrait ski shots every time  ;)
Nice work.

Good seeing you in the parking lot and  your crack of noon start did not hamper your efforts.
I am surprised that snow lake is still passable.
Nice well written report and pictures.

Yes David, if it were not for the tripod attached to Victor, I would be at a loss to capture such photos.  ;)

Thanks Joe, it was nice to run into you again up there!  :)

Reply to this TR

may-25-2008-mt-roosevelt
Lisa
2008-05-28 12:07:17