Home > Trip Reports > May 26, 2008, Paradise/Muir

May 26, 2008, Paradise/Muir

5/26/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 5/26/08 12:24pm
After Amar's report that things were getting a little thin atop Pan Point, today seemed like the right time to head for long continuous runs from Muir.

I left the parking lot a little after 8 and skinned up pleasantly firm, yet soft, snow to Muir. Andy, a TAYer, caught/passed me a little above Pan Point and led the way to Muir. Crowds were pretty light, given the holiday weekend. The Nisqually Icefall saw fit to allow an impressive amount (several houses worth?) of ice to, well, fall at ~10:30, making for a nifty view. Above ~8k, there was a thin (~2") layer of velvety new snow atop Amar's firnspiegel. The ski down was pretty good - various forms of soft spring snow. Pan Point is indeed getting thin - hopefully the strips that connect the big snow deposits have another two weeks left in them...

My plans for a second lap were quashed by weather. A brief chat with an astute solo skier turning for home at the base of Pan Point indirectly led me to note the convective clouds brewing both E and W of the mountain. By the time I topped the point, they looked mean enough to send me scurrying for home as well. A thunderstorm/whiteout on the snowfield wouldn't be pleasant.

Chatted with Darryl and Bonnie in the parking lot while waiting for the weather to make up its mind. The thunderstorm arrived ~3:30 pm, complete with moderately heavy rain, ~3/16" hail and a lightning stroke within 2.5 s of Paradise. The snowfield stayed sunlit for much of the storm, but I was happy to be ensconced in my Faraday cage. I hope the precipitation was the worst of the storm for everyone still on the mountain!
Nice to meet you - I was impressed to see you skinning up a second time!
A very nice day, at least until the thunderstorm.

Nice to meet you too! Did you ski the Chutes?

The thunderstorm was cool too. I miss them from home in Virginia... 

As for lapping the snowfield, the long days are the key - start early (earlier than I did today  ::)) and just crank along all day. I'm convinced, but haven't yet proven, that cycling Paradise to Muir three times in a day is within reach of a normal (fit, and subsequently exhausted) mortal. Continuous snow makes it easier going both ways. Next weekend might be perfect for such an endeavour, but I'm getting hungry for something a little steeper than the snowfield. Perhaps someone here'll give it a go!

author=trumpetsailor link=topic=10169.msg40855#msg40855 date=1211861138]
I'm convinced, but haven't yet proven, that cycling Paradise to Muir three times in a day is within reach of a normal (fit, and subsequently exhausted) mortal. . Perhaps someone here'll give it a go!

Wow, what a great idea , I'll get right on it.  ;)
Seriously though, you should give it a go. I'll cheer you on from the top of Pan Point . ;D

A Canadian , Greg Hill did 50,000 Vf in 24 hrs and I think some dudes did near that at some randonee endurance race in Colorado this winter. Greg Hill's Blog is a really great site.  http://greghill.squarespace.com/

I call going up - "once"
and coming down - "twice".
;D

I didn't ski the chutes. I climbed up about 700VF (cimbers left) above Muir to ski the chute to the West. By the time I did that I felt like I'd had a full day!

Reply to this TR

may-26-2008-paradise-muir
Charlie Hagedorn
2008-05-26 19:24:29