Home > Trip Reports > May 25, 2008, Unicorn Saddle - Tattosh Range - MRNP

May 25, 2008, Unicorn Saddle - Tattosh Range - MRNP

5/25/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 5/26/08 2:21am
Thanks to late breaking news from Robie and 'Gator (via his
gleaned from the prior weekend's tour to McClure Rock, Unicorn was at the top of this weekend's possibles for a great day tour.

Darryl, Bonnie, Chris and I met for breakfast at the Overland (great food, btw... Gary Vogt put the bug in our ear about it a few weeks ago, he says a lot of the locals eat there now since the new management has taken over).

After some discussion and despite the strange weather forecast, we decided to go take a look at it.  By the time we got up to Reflection Lakes we had broken through the overcast to broken to scattered clouds so we geared up and took off.

It's such a pleasure to do this tour with "the bench" snow covered which precludes carrying skis or even requiring skins on the way in, possibly even until climbing out of the Snow Lake drainage, which luckily, happened to be the case for us.  The weather tried to scare us back several times but then turned mild again just as quickly, which prevented the snow from softening to a point where we might need to worry about percolation problems.

The ski down was dreamy so we cut back to do one of the NW facing lines into the Snow Lake basin. 

The tour was another great reminder of why we always need to "go take a look" before relying on the forecasts that, by design, need to be more general in nature.
More photos of the tour posted here.

The tour was another great reminder of why we always need to "go take a look" before relying on the forecasts

Ouch! Guess who relyed on forcasts. Nice job gang I'll try and ditto you next week .

Nice report, Ron, with the usual astute observations on weather and snow conditions. Great tour, great pics, great company. Thanks!

GREAT tour, Ron!  Thanks for posting the pictures.

No rain Sunday night or Monday.  Bonnie and I skied the Birthday Bowl on Monday.

Great report and pics Ron!  I really hope to do this tour with you and crew one of these years...  Let me know if any "baby steps" tours come up for June that I might join in with to bag my turns for the month.  My streak is still alive, though just barely gimping along.  ;) 

Cheers,
Marco

Good job Ron and gang!
Was just thinking about that tour that day and wha-lah there is a report!
It must have been good if Ron had to do the report. And a fine report I might ad!
Way to get it-those chutes look tasty!

Great day out ron. It is an awesome area with lots of possibilities for chutes to be dropped and corn lines abound, thanks for showing me the goods!

I tried to upload pics but realized that it was not allowed. I did not get any good ones anyways- yours did not turn out well. You were living on the edge but looked like you were on a flat surface.

thanks for a great day out and I am looking forward to more. Let's do something similar this sunday, you down?

Chris

Reply to this TR

may-25-2008-unicorn-saddle-tattosh-range-mrnp
ron j
2008-05-26 09:21:00