Home > Trip Reports > May 25, 2008, - Quick Snoqualmie Pass

May 25, 2008, - Quick Snoqualmie Pass

5/25/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 5/25/08 3:55pm
Took a quick jaunt on new fat skis into a nearly empty Commonwealth Basin and partway up Red. (Red is red again.) Turned 'round not long after hearing a moderately impressive crash (cornice fall on Snoqualmie?). T'was pleasant to bask in the twitters and squeaks of Spring returning to the hills. I was surprised by how well consolidated most of the snow was - I'd been expecting glop. This year's easy snowbridge to Guye/Cave Ridge has basically melted out; I didn't actively hunt for other options. Left unsatisfied by the firm tree-skiing, I skinned up Summit West as well in order to let the big boards run a little on the mush. Fun.

NWS has gotten the forecast right, finally - see some of you at Paradise tomorrow.
So what "new fat skis" did you buy   ???

author=Zap link=topic=10162.msg40830#msg40830 date=1211812104]
So what "new fat skis" did you buy  ???

None! :) Thanks to the folks at G3 that offered the "fill in the online ski/marketing survey, maybe you'll win skis" deal, I won a pair of skis. Thanks G3! Never having skied on anything fatter than my Atomic Kongurs, it seemed like a good opportunity to go big and try out the El Hombres. Worried that the 185s might be too much ski for me/too heavy, I decided to go with the cheek height (177) length. They've still got significantly more surface area than my 185 Kongurs, so hopefully I'll still realize whatever benefits a fat ski can provide.

First impressions were pretty positive. I've mounted 'em up with my old pair of Comforts (thanks again to those who helped me out!), and skied 'em with my 3-buckle TLT4s. I was impressed at how well they handled on firm/pine needly snow and even happier with them zipping down the open slopes. Edge hold seemed quite good, and they turned easily. When necessary, sideslipping was super predictable thanks to the girth and long radius sidecut. They plowed through garbagey snow pretty well. The El Hombres are heavier than my Kongur/Classic rig though, so it's not yet clear to me when, outside of winter, the El Hombres'll get pulled out of the closet. They sure would've been nice planing across the afternoon mank at Paradise today... (and slower going up). Despite the weight gain, I suspect they'll be quite efficient at breaking trail on those fabulous knee+ deep skintrack powder days! (the skis, like all skis, cry out to be skied downhill in powder)

author=trumpetsailor link=topic=10162.msg40854#msg40854 date=1211860161]
I suspect they'll be quite efficient at breaking trail on those fabulous knee+ deep skintrack powder days! (the skis, like all skis, cry out to be skied downhill in powder)

I love hearing those words !  Congrats on your new trailbreakers.  ;)

author=Zap link=topic=10162.msg40859#msg40859 date=1211864806]
I love hearing those words !  Congrats on your new trailbreakers.  ;)

As it turns out, they float well on the down too - kept me cruising on top of a crust that troubled Silas a little yesterday...

Reply to this TR

may-25-2008-quick-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2008-05-25 22:55:08