Home > Trip Reports > May 24, 2008, Kaleetan

May 24, 2008, Kaleetan

5/24/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 5/25/08 9:48am
Khahn, Tim, Erik, Monika and I headed out for Kaleetan in SURPRISINGLY good weather after loosing and finding a pair of skis on I-90.  My old friend KG and his dog Baker joined us for trailbreaking in slush up to Bryant Col where they left us by way of the Bryant Couloir.  Snow from col down to Melakwa Lake was still frozen in the shade.  Kicking ourselves a little bit when seeing a clear Rainier, could have, would have, should have............thoughts emerged.  I bet like everyone else we were watching the forecast deteriorate as the week progressed.  IMO the only mistake one makes when weather is uncertain is the mistake of not going.  Uncertain forecast changed our itinerary and we had a great day.  The gulley to the shoulder of Kaleetan is protected by a cornice that 'seems' well anchored and very little overhanging.  Rockfall off Kaleetan sped our progress.  A little monkey business at the top of the gulley as it is partly melted out in sections and we were on the shoulder.  Kaleetan snow covered within 30 vertical of summit.  Skied down a couple of hundred feet and headed East off the shoulder and down to Melakwa Pass.  This was a really fun run.  After crossing Chair Peak Lake we headed slightly right and down to Snow Lake.  This run will be out shortly.  Lake crossings seems to be safe for now.  My camera battery ran out so maybe the other guys got some pics.
Here's a couple of my pics: first one is Khanh skiing the main south face of Kaleetan.  I can't get over that she's a skiing newbie and only her 2nd year bc skiing !  this girl rocks  8)

2nd one is Oyvind, he's so good he levitates on his skis like this  ;)

My brother Erik from Missoula was in town and a good sport to go out with us on just his second bc trip ~  Fun to show him what I'm up to.  Thanks everyone for a really good time together.  Tim even got us all dinner after-muchas grassy!

more pics here:    (since I don't know how/if you can thumbnail from picasa)
http://picasaweb.google.com/yukigirl/KaleetanChairPkCircumnav

Reply to this TR

may-24-2008-kaleetan
Oyvind_Henningsen
2008-05-25 16:48:52