Home > Trip Reports > Maay 24, 2008, Middle fork Nooksack, Black Buttes,

Maay 24, 2008, Middle fork Nooksack, Black Buttes,

5/15/08
Posted by sb on 5/25/08 8:53am
The west side of Baker doesn€™t get much attention compared to Heliotrope Ridge or Schreiber€™s Meadow.  Still, it€™s not that hard to approach, and has some beautiful terrain. The Middle Fork Nooksack road was drivable to about 2050 feet, amazingly low for this time of year.  Still that was a few miles better than a week earlier.  And, soon it will melt out all the way to the Rankin Creek junction (2550 feet, 1+ miles farther). From the junction a logging road climbs up to about 4100 feet (this is better shown on the USGS map than the Green Trails map).  From the end of this road a few hundred feet of climbing through small trees gets you to uncut big woods and beautiful semi open terrain. A notch at 5300 feet opens up to the open basin of Wallace Creek, under the Black Buttes, and bounded by the cliffs of Heliotrope Ridge.  Appealing ski slopes climb from the basin, and, in theory, it shouldn€™t be too hard to connect the Thunder Glacier to the Coleman Glacier at  about 8,000 feet.  Snow is continuous from high on the logging spur and is still covered with a few inches of new from colder weather a few days ago.  Even down at 2,000 feet touring skis are much better than feet for much of the distance - but this will quickly change.
Steve, thanks for the report. I've been interested in trying to access Baker and Black Buttes via Middle Fork Nooksack Road (FR 38) for quite some time. But I was under the impression that the road is gated just before Wallace Creek, at what looks like about 1950 ft on the USGS map, until June 15 (see MBS Road Report and Ridley Creek Trail #696). So that gate is already open? Obviously must be if you drove past . . .

That logging road you mention which switchbacks up the hillside has intrigued me for a long time, too. I'll have to try going up there soon. What about the possibility of heading directly northeast up the MF Nooksack drainage from the last left turn on the road (3700 ft), towards the toe of the Deming Glacier. Any idea if this is doable? I'm assuming it might be a very difficult bushwhack, traversing across fairly steep terrain.

Also, any idea if the MF Nooksack is crossable relatively easily or safely in early spring at the Ridley Creek Trail crossing? Searching the WTA trip reports for "Ridley" brings up only a couple reports in the past few years, which mention a very swift and difficult ford in summer. Swift icy thigh-deep fords across glacial rivers terrify me (I had a very scary ford of Newton Creek while soloing the Timberline Trail around Mt Hood last August). The slopes on the east side of the MF Nooksack look gentler for heading towards the Deming, but then again it might be very brushy forest in there instead of open old growth. And not risking one's life just to get to, unless the crossing is safe.

Anyone else know anything about access via this forgotten corner of Baker?

The gate has been open for at least several weeks, and possibly all winter.

Crossing the Middle Fork at the Green Creek trailhead (about where you can drive to right now) seemed quite reasonable a few weeks ago.  Just carry sandals and a pack towel.  I don’t know about the crossing further east, though.

I followed for a while the tracks of a group on snowshoes that did head up from the last left turn, presumably to climb in the Black Buttes, and recrossed their path when I got off route and onto the ridge bordering the Deming.  The route didn’t seem horrific, but certainly was less amenable to skiing than the one a little farther west.

We were able to drive to the Elbow Lake TH on Friday night (~2300'), MP ~10.5?, on our way to attempt Lincoln Peak.

Last June 18 we were able to drive to ~3600' on the road that zigzags above Rankin Ck.  I have heard from various sources that the road gets gated until June 15, but that is definitely not the case this season.  In snow-free conditions the road is drivable to about 3800' where it is blocked by rocks and trees before another spur continues on the other side (turbo boost?).

Any chance it was you who left the hide-a-key, sb?

Beautiful up there this weekend..

PS.. about our route via the ridge above Rankin Creek.  It's the most direct route, easy on foot, but I doubt you would want to skin it (if that's even possible -- it's pretty steep and there's a lot of very dense trees).  We followed your tracks on the way down and your route works great for skis.  I was jealous I didn't have any!

Is the spur road snow covered, dirt, or spotty?

The spur road is snow covered down to 4000' as of this past weekend, spotty from there (with some spots 4 feet deep, some spots bare ground).

Reply to this TR

maay-24-2008-middle-fork-nooksack-black-buttes
sb
2008-05-25 15:53:53