Home > Trip Reports > May 22-23, 2008, Mt. Bigelow 8444' Chelan-Sawtooths

May 22-23, 2008, Mt. Bigelow 8444' Chelan-Sawtooths

5/22/08
Posted by John Morrow on 5/24/08 3:08am
Don B. and I had set aside a few days for an overnight ski trip.  After some weather report study we opted to try to find some fun easy touring, scenic and up high, with a chance at perhaps checking off a few of the Bulger 100 Peaks list with ski descents.  What we found I had to later describe as "an intense trip"!  We decided that the Eastern Chelan-Sawtooths fit our criteria nicely and we would find comfortable touring and the chance at the ski descents.  With the forecast for 30% chance of showers basically throughout the Cascades we thought we'd perhaps get a light shower but maintain visibility and enjoy a pleasant weather Spring outing.  Forecast sure seemed more ominous for East Slopes but I had my doubts.   What I really did not anticipate was what turned out to be a significant strong low-pressure system wrapping around and hitting us from the EAST.
Our access on Thursday was the Crater Creek TH.  First we drove, then hiked five miles, and later began skiing out of a warm Methow spring and back into winter (picture 1).  By the time we arrived at Horsehead Pass above Boiling Lake, a strong wind was pushing us through the Pass from the east.  "Hmmm, just squirreling winds?" we asked.  Or was the forecast more accurate than expected?  Clouds continued to build and change, in a darkening color regimen, throughout our pleasant evening of camping and storytelling at Boiling Lake.  Overnight the rain started, increased intensity and, turned to wet snow.  It never stopped until we were a mile from the car the next day!
We woke to the sound of heavy patting of snow upon the tent from high winds and tree drip.  Looking out at horizontally blowing snow, we opted to get another couple hours of rest in the hopes that the Spring sun's strength could dissipate this weather a bit.  No such luck so by 11:00AM we were discussing our options.  The traverse idea we had of Cheops Peak., Martin Peak, and Cooney Peak seemed out of reach.  A consolation could be Mt. Bigelow (which we planned on before our exit on day three) and then discuss further options based on the weather.  We were off by 11:00AM.  Then it got exciting.  A simple walk up in summer we found to be plenty exhilarating.  We skinned as far up the SW slope as possible and then boot packed up a frozen slope in the high 30 degree steepness range (picture 2).  (For those folks who have contemplated ski descents of these easy peaks we found that snowpack that far east is thin and the summits are most likely wind blown and sun melted free of snow by the time Spring access opens up.  This is what we found on Bigelow but we never got a true view of the other three peaks to confirm this.)  We found a thin tongue of snow to about 7900 feet and then scrambled through high winds, pelting snow, and fog toward the summit, careful to log as many landmarks as possible in our memories so we could locate our ski depot on the return.  On the summit ridge is where it truly got "intense"!  Winds to that point were constant and occasionally up to what we described as, "blowing 40".  Then on the ridge crest we got blasted.  Several times extended gusts of over 60 MPH sent us voluntarily, and involuntarily, to our knees in deep low crouches protecting our faces and grabbing onto bouldery scree for anchors.  Between these gusts we continued on to the summit of Bigelow 8444 feet, signed the register, and got the heck out of there.
We retraced our path uneventfully, found the skis, and mentally prepared for the narrow, somewhat steep, icy first turns.  Things went well, we enjoyed the challenge through the narrows, found areas where a couple of new inches of snow hadn't been blown clean, and began having great fun completing our ski descent back to the valley floor below Hoodoo Pass (picture 3).  The snow above 7800 feet was dry enough, and the wind strong enough, to dry our clothes.  But by the end of the traverse back to camp we were once again soaked with no end to this weather in sight.   We "heated up a brew", a Don quote I liked, weighed options and at 4:30PM were packed up and climbing to Horsehead for the 8 mile trip out.  The pass was just as we remembered only worse.  Sustained 40 MPH winds were rocketing through from the east.  We carefully sheltered ourselves and de-skinned.  We concentrated on pushing through the gap without letting the wind throw our full packs and knock us over, until we were safely in the Eagle Lake Basin enjoying a pleasant ski descent toward the lake and out of the wind.
Greedily making turns we ended up well below our trail exit out so we had to boot pack up steep rubbly and slabby slopes back to the actual trail.  Skis back on our feet for a mile or so of outstanding trail skiing and then the final five mile hike out.  We marveled at the gorgeous Douglas fir giants, and a bit of yellow pine and green grass, until we reached the car with little daylight to spare.
Another bizarre weather conditions trip for me that simply added to the uniqueness and specialness of a trip into the mountains!  Don is the ultimate hard core conditions partner and, though this was a significant step below that, it was sure fun to experience together!

Reply to this TR

may-22-23-2008-mt-bigelow-8444-chelan-sawtooths
John Morrow
2008-05-24 10:08:23